Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

sign language..did u do it??

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2007 at 12:00 AM
  • 4 Replies
people keep telling me i should teach my daughter (3mo right now) sign language because it'll be easier for us to communicate while she's learning to talk... i think its a good idea..but does it really work?? anyone have any suggestions on books/videos/etc that work really well for it?? any input will be appreciated !! thanks bunches
by on Jun. 24, 2007 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mamamia517
by on Jun. 24, 2007 at 12:07 AM
thats so weird you asked that i was about to post something about it. im trying with my son now. he is 7 months. one of my brothers has autism and we had to teach him..but he was about 2yrs. i think. he had a little book that had the picture and sign on it. h would sign some but most of the time he would just go to his book and hand you the card of what he wanted to do. but needless to say im trying to sign with my son now. just have patience. the internet is a great resource. i think baby einstein has a baby singing video.
downsbabyg-maw
by on Jun. 24, 2007 at 12:22 AM
teaching your child to sign is the best thing ever.....having a daughter who is particularly deaf...and not knowing sign was hard on me....had to invent our own language....after she started high school she took more classes...it was easier for her to be able to make it in a hearing world....my g-baby is a downs baby...in most cases downs babies are deaf...my g-baby is not deaf...we are teaching him sign...not only so that he can better communicate with his mom...but so that he can communicate with others ....it should be mandatory class in school....sign language is a second language...just spoken differently...just understand that not all sign language is the same...the signlanguage that is used here in the states...ASL...is different then that is used in the European countries....
nellierice
by on Jun. 24, 2007 at 12:25 AM
My son has been learning sign language at the daycare he goes to...it's just a fun thing that they've picked up.  The only problem with it is he'll sign things and I don't know what they mean...haha.  It's definately awesome because he understands what he's saying and asking for when he doesn't even know the words...I'm still learning, but he's a pro already...I recommend it but I don't know how they do it!!
flowerpower
by on Jun. 24, 2007 at 12:30 AM
I taught my girls to sign (ABC's) when they were 3 and 4 yrs old that way they could sing the abc song back while signing. . It's another language and hopefully if they come across someone they need to talk too they could talk back.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)