Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Warning about Emergen-C drink supplement packets

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2008 at 8:38 AM
  • 3 Replies
Hi all,
Great info on here, so I thought I'd pass on my own!

I bought the Vitamin C Emergen-C drink supplement packets to add to my water, thinking it is good for the baby. I drink two of them yesterday and then thought "wow, 1,000 mg per packet is a lot of vitamin c, i should look that up" i looked it up and the RECOMMENDED DOSAGE OF VITAMIN C FOR PREGNANT WOMAN OVER 18 IS 85 MG A DAY!

So, There is 120mg in my prenatal, 40 mg in the oj i drank, and 2,000 mg in the emergen-c i drank....so i was WAY over the limit. Even the upper limits of vitamin c that you take is NO MORE THAN 1,000-2,000 mg.

The effects on the baby from od on vitamin c are this: the child can be born with scurvy from the vitamin c deficiency they get when they are out of your body and no longer receiving that much, also in the third trimester, it is known to cause birth defects, and the scariest one: 4 WEEKS OR YOUNGER GESTATION, IF YOU DRINK MORE THAN 4,000 MG A DAY, IT IS KNOWN AS THE "HOME ABORTION" You are likely to miscarry.

SO, PLEASE, be careful, even with vitamins. I read every book there is about how to have a healthy pregnancy, and never thought a vitamin could harm you. Check out everything! Thanks.
by on Jun. 9, 2008 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mommagarza
by on Jun. 9, 2008 at 8:41 AM
you are only supposed to take that supplement to help you boost your immune system when you are sick.  I just looked at the packet of Airborne- which is another immunity booster, and same thing.  It is fine to take something like that if you feel a cold coming on, but not on a daily basis.  All the similar products contain that much calcium.
caidensmommy516
by on Jun. 9, 2008 at 8:42 AM

I was told to never take ony supplements like that while pregnant.

mommagarza
by on Jun. 9, 2008 at 9:14 AM
ooops, i didn't see that you were taking them while pregnant.  i did take airborne while I was pregnant this time but only when my hubbs had the flu and only for a few days ( 1 tab a day) and I didn't get sick.) your body will expell any unused vitamins and minerals that you take - pregnant or not- that is why your urine looks so bright yellow while you take prenatals.  So if you accidentally take too much of something on occassion i would not worry about it too much, just do not make it  a habbit!
Quoting mommagarza:

you are only supposed to take that supplement to help you boost your immune system when you are sick.  I just looked at the packet of Airborne- which is another immunity booster, and same thing.  It is fine to take something like that if you feel a cold coming on, but not on a daily basis.  All the similar products contain that much calcium.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN