Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Adoption ????? Please Help

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 11:05 AM
  • 6 Replies

Do any of you ladies know what steps need to be taken for a legal adoption if the mother is willing to sign the papers?????
And the dad is not on the birth certificate, but the child has his last name??? Does the dad have to sign too???

We're finally getting to adopt Dixie, and we're trying our hardest to make sure that everything is done right. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
nannykay
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 11:08 AM

does the father claim her???? if so, i would get him to sign something just to make sure he cant come back for her.    our adoption will be finalized on July 26 and i cant wait to get it over.            keep me posted ---hope we can chat sometimes. kay

tynickmom
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 11:08 AM
You should find a lawyer for this.  It is a very touchy proceedure, and you need to make sure that everything is done correctly so that nothing comes back on you years from now.
pregomamma921
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Quoting nannykay:

does the father claim her???? if so, i would get him to sign something just to make sure he cant come back for her.    our adoption will be finalized on July 26 and i cant wait to get it over.            keep me posted ---hope we can chat sometimes. kay

The dad doesn't claim her. He doesn't think that she is his!!!!
TableforSeven
by Judy on Jun. 28, 2007 at 3:17 PM
You should definately have papers made by a lawyer and make sure everything is done properly.
I would think that you will need BOTH parents to sign forms -- if you only get mom to sign forms....dad could have a change-of-heart down the road and legally reclaim his child.
trinsmommy
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 3:19 PM
Try asking the adoption group.  They will know!!
SVSASHER
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 3:20 PM
go to a lawyer just to make sure is legal and proper
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)