Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Potty Training Help Needed

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 1:09 PM
  • 10 Replies
I need help and boy do I mean I need help....  So here's the deal with what's going on.

My two year old daughter Jayden is very smart and has met every delvopment early but going to the potty.  She was only wearing diapers and then we moved her into wearing pull-ups while she's up and diapers when she goes to bed.  And she was getting better at understanding when she had to go to the bathroom she even has made it a few times.

But now it's like a complete backslide.  Now when she's in her pull ups she will go pee and stay in it without saying a word then when I get a clue she might be wet I'll go to change her and she will insist that she's not wet.  It's really frustrusting specially since we were so close to her going potty and now we have a newborn baby so having two pampers to change is a bit harder then just one.

I keep telling myself she will get it but I think I need some help, advice, tips, or something to get her back on track.  Any advice or any ideas any of you moms have would be appreicated.

Thanks
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Meghan131
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 1:11 PM
THe pullup thing didnt work one bit for my oldest son either. He figured it out right quick that he can pee in them. What worked for me was just putting him in underware, he only peed his pants a few times before he decided he'd rather pee in the potty! Good Luck to you :)
berlgirl1224
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2007 at 1:13 PM
it's normal for a setback like that. i finally had my son (3 in Aug) in undies while up, and a diaper for bed and nap. for a month and a half all went great. i mean, we hada few accidents of course, but nothing major. he was excited. (he needs to be trained for nursery school) then all of a sudden, he regressed. he has no intention of using the potty. i ask him all day, and he says he doesnt have to go. when he does go in his diaper (no more undies) i ask, and he says he didnt, then i lay him down to change him and he freaks out and screams, "i didnt peepee!". like i said, it's all normal. just hang in there and know you arent alone.
DoriWA
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 1:13 PM

I would take her out of the pull up even with those you can't feel the pee, put her in big girl underpants.....I did this with my son and he could not stand wetting his underwear.... he soon caught on to that one....even if you go out still leave underpants on her..... take a lot of extra clothes with you ...Hope this helps....

(¯`·¸•´¯) Dori (¯`·¸•´¯)

teachermom06
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 1:13 PM
Sometimes when there is a major change in the family a child will backslide.  don't rush her and she will get back to it.  My middle child did the same thing when I passeda kidney stone and had to go to the hospital for three days.  It took several months for her to get back in the groove but she did finally get trained.  good luck.  I know you are frustrated.
littlemommastef
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 1:14 PM
I'm having the exact same problem!!! Frustrating!!! And on top of that, I'm pregnant.She just kinda got lazy with it. I've been told it's just a faze. I'm praying it is b/c I really don't want to have to change two kids' diapers.
Tinkerbell03
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 1:15 PM
Underwears here also.....got rid of the pullups.......we let her pick out the ones she liked (Dora) and we put her in them and told her they were not for peeing or pooping in and she picked out her own potty chair......amazingly we did not have one accident....and she has been doing it since!
melissa1983
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 1:15 PM
I have a 3 yr old boy who is just now potty training - he's behind the learning curve for his age group and doesnt talk half as much as he should by now... I have been trying to get him to train for the last year and just last week I left him naked and he has been going on his own ever since! I think that pull ups are pointless cuz if they pee on themselves they cant feel it anyway its just like a diaper that they can pull up and down... Put her in some undies with a plastic lining or let her run naked (just around the house of course) and make sure your asking her if she has to potty constantly to remind her that "oh ya I use the potty now" because they can get distracted. My son will still pee in undies if he is wearing them because he thinks anything on his lower half is a diaper I guess.. He's getting there and your little girl will too. Just dont rush her and dont punish her -stay sane and up beat! Good luck!

Melissa(23) SAHM, Army veteran (OEF)
Jared(25) Military Police Officer (8yrs)
Caleb Michael Joseph born on May 18, 2004 8.8 lbs 21 1/4 in long
Cody Raymond Nicholas born on December 18, 2005 8.4 lbs 19 1/2 in long
jel_e_been
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 1:18 PM
It is perfectly normal for a child to "backslide" during potty training. Especially if there is another baby in the house. We were on track with our youngest daughter until our son was born last year. We have been using pull-ups, but it isn't working. Our problem is she absolutely refuses to go poopy in the potty. I can put her in panties and she will go pee just fine, but when it comes time for poopy?? well you can just forget it. I have to wash at least one pair of panties per day. I am at a loss as what to do with the poopy situation. I can't go anywhere without putting a pull-up on her, cause she WILL NOT  go in public. Drives me nuts. So the only advice I can give is just keep being persistent and constant with her. She will get the hang of it again.
mamma2five
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 1:29 PM
We had the same problem here, the pull-up idea is great but they don't work. after we found that out we moved straight to "big-kid" undies, and it has worked every since, don't get me wrong we do have an accident every so often but a good floor cleaner and laundrey detergent works for the accidents. my favorite is oxi-clean

Lauriesmiles
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 1:54 PM
It's been about 16 yrs since I last Potty trained my last daughter.  I have two grown girls, and never had a problem with either.  They were both potty trained by the time they were 2.  First of all, I didn't use those little potty chairs, those are more of a mess to deal with, just use the child potty seat that you set on top of the regular toilet, that way the little ones get use to using the regular toilet. Second,  I did not let my little girls run around naked, (that's just asking for trouble), and, I didn't let them wear regular little training panties, til they were potty trained for sure. I'm not into letting them "Pee" in their panties a few times or at all, after all, they may be sitting on your good couch or chair when that happens, then think of the mess!  I kept mine in the pull-ups.  I checked every hour, asking if they needed to use the potty. If they said no, I said, lets go in and try, and if they succeeded and went, then they would get a few Reeses Pieces.  If they didn't go in the potty, or had an accidents, they wouldn't get any, they only got rewarded by going in the Potty.  If they went in the potty , then I wouldn't ask them again for 2 hours,  Only when they wouldn't go would I ask them every hour.   If memory serves me right, within 5 days, both my girls were potty trained, graduated into training pants, and never once had an accident.  I kept giving them reeses and I think I gradually weened them off them, til I knew they were pretty much trained.  Good Luck, let me know if you have any luck! 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)