Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
A Tragedy @ Six Flaggz
Body: A terrible tragedy has happened yesterday June 21, 2007 @ our local amusement park Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom.
Today around 4:45pm est the ride Superman aka hellivator malfunctioned. The ride takes you up about 177ft in the air and you free fall going about 56mph. On the descend a cable breaks and from the force of wind it wraps around BOTH legs of a 13 yr old girl from right above the ankles and litterally RIPS them off.
As of right now I don't know the current condition of the little girl. She's been in surgery for a few hours. I'm asking everyone to pray for this girl and her family.
This is no hoax. You can go to whas11.com our local station and read all about it. THE ARTICLE IS CALLED "Inspection begins after girl's legs severed". Please pray for her and her family. Post this as much as you can so everyone on myspace can eventually read this and say a prayer. I felt compelled to do this so I am. Thank you all!!

by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 2:00 PM
Replies (11-18):
SVSASHER
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 3:01 PM
my prayers are with her
Kacielshelton
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 3:03 PM
I saw this on the news! This is so sad. I rode that ride about two weeks before that happend at the six flags in GA! I could not imagine that happening! I will and have been praying for this girl.
Cherish77
by Cherish on Jun. 28, 2007 at 3:05 PM
Thats really awful  Thats so sad, the poor girl will never walk again.
danctilushatter
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 3:06 PM
very tragic....here's the latest update....

LOUISVILLE, Ky., June 27, 2007

Kaitlyn Lasitter was riding the Superman Tower of Power ride Thursday at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom in Louisville when a cable broke loose on the ride, cutting off the girl's feet above the ankles. (AP Photo/Ed Reinke)

"The parents of Kaitlyn Lasitter would like to acknowledge everyone across the country that have been supporting their daughter with many positive thoughts and prayers over the last six days."

(AP) A 13-year-old girl whose feet were severed in an accident on an amusement park ride is in stable condition in a Nashville, Tenn., hospital, her family said in a written statement Tuesday.

The family of Kaitlyn Lasitter issued the statement through Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Her name had not previously been released by officials.

Lasitter was riding the Superman Tower of Power ride Thursday at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom in Louisville when a cable broke loose on the ride, cutting off the girl's feet above the ankles. Bill Clary, a spokesman for the Kentucky Department of Agriculture, which inspects amusement park rides, said Tuesday the incident remains under investigation.

"The parents of Kaitlyn Lasitter would like to acknowledge everyone across the country that have been supporting their daughter with many positive thoughts and prayers over the last six days," the statement said.

The statement, the first issued since Thursday's accident, did not give the parents' names or hometown. It also included a plea for privacy for the family.

The family's statement said no one from the theme park had contacted them since the accident.

Wendy Goldberg, a spokeswoman for Six Flags in New York, said two representatives from Kentucky Kingdom went to the hospital following the accident and stayed for "some time" before the Lasitter family asked them to leave. Goldberg would not elaborate on who the representatives from the park who traveled to the hospital were.

"We are deeply saddened by this incident and of course have genuine concern for the well-being of the entire family. We stand ready to be of any assistance we possibly can," said Kentucky Kingdom spokeswoman Carolyn McClean.

The ride passed inspection in each of the last four years, according to inspection records. The ride lifts passengers 177 feet straight up, then drops them nearly the same distance at speeds reaching 54 miles per hour.

Six Flags shut down similar rides at parks in St. Louis; Gurnee, Ill., and near Washington as a safety precaution, Goldberg said. Those rides remained closed Tuesday.

"The rides are closed while we conduct a rigorous safety inspection," Goldberg said Tuesday.

She said Six Flags Over Texas, near Dallas, also has a Superman Tower of Power, but it is not the same ride.

Cedar Fair Entertainment Co. of Sandusky, Ohio, also shut down drop tower rides at five of its amusement parks for inspection.

"Dancing is not rising to your feet painlessly like a whirl of dust blown about by the wind. Dancing is when you rise above both worlds, tearing your heart to pieces and giving up your soul."
~ Rumi ~

qtpyesmom
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 3:09 PM
That is soooo sad! I hope she will be okay. Sending prayers her way. -Tasha-
proudmommy1006
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 3:10 PM

When I was a kid and went to amusement parks I never heard about things like this..Now a days it is scary I dont think when my son gets older that i am going to allow him to go on certain rides...If it was up to my boyfriend he wouldnt even go to amusement parks

ginny1965
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 3:24 PM
My son and I will pray for the young lady , and the family as they all recover from this tragedy .Go with God .Hugs and Kisses.
Rachel2003
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 3:29 PM
I also live in Louisville and there is an article in today's paper about how this girl played softball in Germantown and last night their season ended and they have a special trophy for her. I thought that was very sweet. She and her family are in my thoughts!
Rachel
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN