Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

unlocked cell phones?

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2008 at 1:45 PM
  • 15 Replies
what does this mean?
by on Jul. 1, 2008 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KimberlyMonique
by on Jul. 1, 2008 at 1:46 PM
I'm not sure. My phone has a screen saver and you need a password to unlock it. Maybe that. If you don't have a lock then if you lose, or if someone steals your phone they can use it.
steffielou_who
by on Jul. 1, 2008 at 1:47 PM
My om locks her phone and lets the kids play with it! That means that they can't dial out while they're playing!
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Jul. 1, 2008 at 1:48 PM
I never knew what unlocked meant on an cellphone until recently.  My son got a hold of my cell and locked it.  Usually the code is the last four digits of your cell number.  But it stays locked until you unlock it.  I suppose if you wanted to be sure nobody got a hold of your phone you would lock it?  A friend of mines locks her phone so her bf can not be nosey  ;D
usnwifelw
by on Jul. 1, 2008 at 1:48 PM
I think it has something to do with it being able to have more than one carrier. Like it can be used with both verizon and cingular. Something to that effect.
msjaxon
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2008 at 1:49 PM
I think you might be talking about when you reprogram a cell phone so it can be used on any network not just the company from which it was purchased
D_D_
by on Jul. 1, 2008 at 1:49 PM
Depends on what you are referring to - Someone may request from a vendor to purchase an "Unlocked" cell phone so they can use it with any carrier or get it provisioned for a certain carrier other than what that cell phone was meant for. . . . . What context was that term used in?
Wabbit12
by on Jul. 1, 2008 at 1:49 PM
If you buy a phone, it will only work with the provider you got it from. Ex: my phone is AT&T it will only work on the at&t network. They are programmed to only work on that network. An unlocked phone, you can put in any companies sim card and it is supposed to work with it. I think all the co's do it so that you are stuck with that provider.
LuvMy2Grlz
by on Jul. 1, 2008 at 1:50 PM
I know when my dad went overseas to work he was told he had to call the cell phone company's customer service line and have them unlock his phone.  If he didn't have them unlock his phone he wouldn't have been able to use it while overseas.  I think it has something to do with security, to make sure if you're phone is ever stolen it can't be used in another country or something??  I'm not quite sure though.

Ashley-- 25  James-- 26  Cassidy-- 2 1/2  Mackenzie-- 6mos.

greenie63
by Nancy on Jul. 1, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Interesting reading the responses to this question. I used to work for verizon wireless tech support and would get this question probably several times a day. If the screen on the phone says "locked" then you would to "unlock" the phone to use it. depending on the manufactuer you usually press the right soft key (looks like the minus sign -) then insert the last four of the phone number some won't accept that and you then start with 0000 or 1234. If it won't unlock something is going on with the phone internally and will probably need to be repalced. Now unlocking could refer to the indentifying serial number for the phone itself which is located on the back of the phone after you remove the battery usually referred to as a MEID # if it's locked it's done because the phone was suspended for a reason usually stolen or a non paying customer and usually a useless phone. Phones are not interchangable from carrier to carrier due to the software and programming, some comapnies use sim cards and some don't. Not sure this answer helps  but cell phones are complicated little things, best thing to do is call your provider.

KRISTAL_WILDER
by on Jul. 1, 2008 at 2:34 PM
It means it will work with any carrier( AT&T, sprint, so on) you buy a cell phone and the discription says unlocked that is what it means.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)