Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

can you get sunburned enough to leave a scar?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 1:27 PM
  • 11 Replies
ok so i just spent a week in panama city. well idiot me didnt wear sunscreen on my legs when we went to the beach. i should have known better since i havnt worn shorts in over two years but i figured eh i'm in the water all day, the sun wont get me....WRONG! I got so sunburned on my legs I couln't walk the next day. It has been two weeks and I still can't wear pants comfortably because it hurts still. I am peeling so bad it's disgusting and instead of being tan under what peels I am still burned, i went the the doc two days after it happened and he said it was a 3rd degree sunburn which according to him is the equivelent of a 2nd degree burn you would get from a stove or fire. prescibed some pain meds and told me to pus straight pure vasalene on it. may aunt was looking at it and thinks it may scar in some places. has anyone ever heard of this? scars from a sunburn?

nice difference in my feet and legs huh? my legs were as white at me feet, and this is a few days after the fact. most ppl would be tan by now.

a few days after the fact too, when most ppl would be tan by now.

by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Twiseman
by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 1:31 PM
bump anyone???

luvmy3jms
by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 1:31 PM
You should do an internet search for sunburns. My understanding is that yes some burns can leave a scar. It's basically skin damage. Make sure to buy lotion with sunscreen because you'll want to protect your legs from future damage. Not to mention Panama is closer to the equator so the sun's rays are more powerful. If your skin isn't used to the sun, you can do some real damage. I try not to get tan.
alexjames
by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 1:32 PM
YES!  I have scars from when I was 16 and burned probably as bad if not worse than you!  I was in the sun from 10 AM until after dark, that night in the shower is when the burn hit me!  I couldn't move off of the couch for 5 days, and when I did have to move, I cried so bad, I could only wear the same suit or nothing and kept a white sheet draped across me with a fan blowing.  My legs are scared, so is my chest.  I get yearly checks for skin cancer now.  Please be careful...I feel for ya, I really do!
wiferichie
by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 1:34 PM
Twiseman
by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 1:38 PM
i feel like such an idiot. my aunt warned me and i didnt listen, i was like no, its will be fine, i was in the water or under the umbrella, we were only there for four hours and thats how bad i was burned. it was acutally worse, these pics were taken a few days after it happened. i never once "laid out" while we were there...ugh..

BryleighsMama07
by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 1:41 PM
Ok..Im a white white girl and I burn easily and bad when I do burn....

Go get u some white vinager and a big box of baking soda....get an old plastic bowl or something....pour some BS in the bowl and add a small amount of vinager...make sure u are over a sink b/c it will bubble up..once the fiz dies down...stir the 2 together and keep adding BS and V together til you have a paste....rub all over where you are burnt at...let it stay on there til it is dry and peeling off...then go take a cool shower...repeat every hour or so til the burning/soreness is gone!  It works! Trust me...I use it all the time when I get burnt and I have told other friends about it and they couldnt believed it worked but it did....it will take the heat out of the sun burn and you will feel better! =)  Good luck and if u need anymore info.. just PM me and Ill answer what I can =)

Wife to David and Mommy to Bryleigh Elizabeth

"Life is like a jarof Jalepenos... What you do today might burn your a$$ tomorrow!!"

JackieH
by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 1:44 PM
We live near Panama City in Destin and my husband did that when we first moved here. He got burnt really really bad. He didnt have scars but he got tons of freckles on his chest from the burn. The sun here is a lot more powerful then the sun up north. Hope you get to feeling better. You seem like you had it as bad as my husband did. He couldnt move at all for a few weeks. I had never seen him in so much pain.
Twiseman
by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 1:44 PM
wow, thanks i will have to try that. i have never heard of it. but i know vinigar works for alot of things. THANKS!
Quoting BryleighsMama07:

Ok..Im a white white girl and I burn easily and bad when I do burn....

Go get u some white vinager and a big box of baking soda....get an old plastic bowl or something....pour some BS in the bowl and add a small amount of vinager...make sure u are over a sink b/c it will bubble up..once the fiz dies down...stir the 2 together and keep adding BS and V together til you have a paste....rub all over where you are burnt at...let it stay on there til it is dry and peeling off...then go take a cool shower...repeat every hour or so til the burning/soreness is gone!  It works! Trust me...I use it all the time when I get burnt and I have told other friends about it and they couldnt believed it worked but it did....it will take the heat out of the sun burn and you will feel better! =)  Good luck and if u need anymore info.. just PM me and Ill answer what I can =)

brandonlauren
by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 1:45 PM
Bless your heart!, I feel for ya, I got bad sunburned a few years back.. My niece got burned bad just a few weeks back and now has a small scar on her chest..  Hope you feel better soon!

Sara
Kels678
by on Jul. 18, 2008 at 1:57 PM

i got sunburned when i was like..14...and it peeled and peeled and i got massive blisters and i am scarred but its not too bad and noone hardly notices its just when i do tan or get sunburned i have little white dots on my shoulders, chest, and back. But, my blisters showed up with in 2 days so, if you dont have blisters yet.....you may not get them. Which is always good,  but i do feel for you. I end up buying spf 60+ now and it keeps me from burning, Im just white all the time haha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN