Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Natural Laxatives for kids?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 3:26 PM
  • 12 Replies
My daughter is almost 6 and she has gotten really consitpated lately. And when she finally gets her self to go its so hard she really is straining to get it out.. Now she will not eat prunes and doesnt do the drink either! Thats the only thing I can think of. Now what other kinds of foods can I give her that might help her out??

by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steffie
by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 3:27 PM
HOW ABOUT WATERMELON
Sunshine201
by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 3:28 PM

I know if my kids eat too many grapes.....She will no  longer have that problem : )   Good Luck

Jackie06
by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 3:29 PM
Raisins,Apple juice,They even have a stool softener in drops and in props.
misslee76
by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 3:29 PM
Apple juice?  On a different post, someone mentioned Karo Syrup, haven't tried it though, so I don't know about that one.
lovinyou07
by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 3:30 PM
maybe some apple juice you might also look into food that are high fiber.
Nicki
mom2many77
by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 3:31 PM
tomatoes work. My daugther used to eat them raw sliced up with salt and lime on them. She LOVED them. They flushed her right out. LOL. Any veggies prepared that way raw are good. You'd be surprised what a kid will eat with lime and salt on it. At least my kids.

joken
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2008 at 3:31 PM
Cherrys might work
DSCI1582-1-1-1.jpg picture by joken123My Girls Are My World
frogger11
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2008 at 3:32 PM
what about plums???  prunes are plums just dried up!  That might help some...plus plums taste a whole lot better than a prune!
oweysmom
by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 3:36 PM
My doc refers me to "Your Child's Health" quite often...this book is awesome. In here it says to increase fruits and veggies at least 3 times a day such as peas, beans, bananas (bananas can be used for constipation and diahrrea--it says to disregard the myth) and apples. Other good choices are prunes, raisins, peaches, pears, apricots, cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage. 

Increase bran (flakes, muffins, shredded wheat, graham crackers, oatmeal, high-fiber cookies, brown rice, whole-wheat bread, popcorn). 

DECREASE cow's milk, ice cream, cheese and yogurt (keep to moderate amts of 3 servings per day).

Increase water. You can also increase fruit juices. Best ones are ones high in sorbitol (pear, prune and plum. Orange juice is not as helpful. 

The book also states the mixing natural products in foods is helpful (such as applesauce).

I hope it helps!! 
unique_puzzle
by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 3:42 PM
Increase fiber and water intake.  I would also recommend prunes.  The lemon and orange flavor are actually quite good. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)