Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

3 year old..OBSESSED with boobs.

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2008 at 11:47 PM
  • 6 Replies

My 3 year old son was breastfed until he was 20 months - when he was 22 months I had my second child who then breastfed. Ever since my son has been OBSESSED with boobs. When he goes to bed at night he HAS to play with nipples - normally his own - but lately he has been trying to lift my or my SO shirts to play with ours...

Is this normal? What should I do?

by on Aug. 4, 2008 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
momisthequeen
by on Aug. 4, 2008 at 11:54 PM

well every kid has his quirks.  I know my kids were able to grasp very well, at a very young age, the concept of parts of their body being "private".  At 3 he should be able to understand that your nipples are "private except for feeding baby", all other people's nipples are "private", meaning he should not touch or lift up shirts to look, and his own nipples are "private", meaning they are not for other people to touch and he should only touch them when he is alone.  Same concept as the penis.  I wouldn't really worry if he wants to touch his nipples when he's alone as long as he adheres to the privacy concept.

Tugud2btroo
by on Aug. 5, 2008 at 12:01 AM

My cuz's daughter was like that. She would sleep with her hand inside of her shirt playing with her nipples. However she wasn't breastfed.... I don't know if she has outgrown this or if her mom did anything to stop it that helped.

Mysty_1961
by on Aug. 5, 2008 at 12:02 AM
I would not be too worried about it, and I doubt if it has much if anything to do with how long you nursed him. I think it you establish some guidelines for him it will work itself out, but don't try to make too big a thing of it.
desiree0384
by on Aug. 5, 2008 at 12:06 AM

my son is five and he did that for a while too...he has since outgrown it...although i didnt breastfeed him...my boobs were just really big when i had him and he always slept on my chest so i guess it was like a comfort for him...anyone with boobs he loved...lol

britt_a
by on Aug. 5, 2008 at 12:09 AM

haha, that's how my son is too. He likes to poke at them and sometimes he actually calls them pretty. lmao! I breastfed him till he was one. He did have a thing trying to play with nipples for about a month but we made it very clear that those aren't to be played with (he tried to pinch people's nipples). He got over it thank goodness.

Quoting desiree0384:

my son is five and he did that for a while too...he has since outgrown it...although i didnt breastfeed him...my boobs were just really big when i had him and he always slept on my chest so i guess it was like a comfort for him...anyone with boobs he loved...lol

a2zali
by on Aug. 5, 2008 at 9:44 AM

My 2 yr old is obsessed with her nipples too.  It's like a comfort object for her.  Istead of a blankie she rubs her nipples.  we've just told her that we don't lift our shirts in public and we have to be dressed when we have company over.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN