Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any Suggestions would be appreciated

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 12:59 AM
  • 10 Replies
It is somewhat embarrassing to admit, but I have no idea how to teach my toddler to dress himself.  Does anyone have suggestions on how to best teach them to put their shirts and pants on (head through first or arms, sitting down or standing up to put on pants).  Never having a child before I am at a loss.  My son seems to get frustrated when trying to dress.  How can I help? 
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 12:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hotmama716
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:03 AM
Being a 1st time mama too that is a good question. Maybe make a little song out of it to make it fun. Hmm....I should ask my brothers how they taught  with my nephews.
blueeyes30
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:03 AM
well my son can only do diaper and pants, but we sing a little song... left foot right foot, put it in the hole right foot left foot, pants on is our goal.. hope it helps.. silly i know, but works.

smshaw
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:07 AM
I always taught my kids 2 put on their shirts over their heads & then the arms thru, but prob just cuz that's the way I do it. But it does seem easier for them. And heaven help anyone that tries 2 do it a different way. LOL My kids usually sit on the floor to put their pants on. My 9 yr. old stands now.  I would just find him stuff that's somewhat loose and no snaps or buttons. My 5 yr. ols is still struggling w/ those hateful buttons!  Just get him to calm down & relax & he'll get it. Unfortunately once they can dress themselves UNDRESSING is the next & alot easier step. My kids seem to be 1/2 naked anymore. LOL Hope I helped a little.

Serena

stop touching each other, don't make me tell u again, don't make me stop this car, go ask your father,I said no-don't ask me again- BECAUSE I SAID SO!

dominicsfamily
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:07 AM

Ok Here maybe this will be of some help. After teaching my four children I finally feel confident in giving advice, but its up to you if you use it or not. I found it is easier for a little ont to put there head through first and then there arms, because they can still see. And its easier to let them sit down and put pants or shorts on then stand up and pull them up, so that they do not fall down trying to get them on. Since there balance is not as good as our yet. Hope this helps....

Angie

http://www.myspace.com/dominicsheart

proudmomalexis
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:11 AM
WOW that got me to thinking. as for shirts i would put the shirt on his lap front side down then you have him put both arms in one at a time then put his head in. as for pants i would have him sit in small chair and put pants legs  in one at a time.then pull up. hope that helped
mygirlKyra
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:16 AM
Wow that is a good question.  I was thinking of how we taught DD how to dress herself and honestly I think she just kind of started doing it on her own.  I mean we would help her dress but now she wants to do it on her own.  Sorry I can't be of much help.  Just continue to help him when he needs it or if he wants to do it on his own let him.  If they end up backwards tell him he did great and help him fix it. 
PJRowe
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:17 AM
I have a three yr old and he is very indepentant.  He wants to do it all himself, but like you little one gets very upset when it don't work.  I show him how head should go first then arms most kids don't like it when they can't see.  Sitting down works better for pants and shorts because there balance is not the greatest then they can stand up to pull them up and ajust.  My son and i made up a song together so he can remember how it goes.  It has worked great so far he has been getting dressed without alot of help for a few weeks now.

avon rep.

www.youravon.com/paularowe

shell_287
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:19 AM
My DD Kayhlynn is three and by 18 months she was trying to dress herself. I would let her do what she could for a while and then I started teaching her the rest. We always put her head in first. Followed by one arm and then the next. When she began putting on her pants and stuff she sat down. I always told her while showing her which way they went that we put the tag on our booty!! She would laugh and laugh, but it worked. She is totally dressing herself now. And she is already standing up and putting her pants on like mommy. Of course, she always makes sure there is something behind her in case she starts falling it will catch her...LOL!!!!! I hope this helps you out.

Ella1504
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:21 AM
I tried teaching my son...kinda...didn't work he got all mad all the time. However he's learned, by himself, where his head and arms go and how to take it off pretty well. So I don't know how much help I can be other than to say with age it'll get easier
tylersmommy1024
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:24 AM

Thanks for all the great tips.  I am excited to have some fresh ideas in the morning.  What a great website.  I am so glad I found it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)