Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am i doin this right?

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:48 AM
  • 16 Replies
I have a beautiful premie girl shes been home about  3 weeks now at first she never cried just slept now she cries alot and is really needy i believe u cant spoil a newborn especially a premie.. shes my lil miracle baby and has been through so much all ready so shes my whole life everyone says i spoil her becuase i pick her up when she cries as soon as she starts crying . Is this wrong?
She also has an awful habit were between 3 am to about 6 am shes really fussy and cries unless im holding her is this normal am i doin this right?
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
drinkme8184
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:50 AM
its proven that you can not spoil a newborn, so pick up your baby whenever she cries, thats how she learns to trust you.
Huntermaiden
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:52 AM
My understanding is that a 3 week old premie is not being spoiled if you pick her up  when she cries...even if she is crying alot lately. So, yes, you are doing it right.

mommy2zach
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:54 AM
Whoever is telling you that you can "spoil" a baby during their first year is wrong in my opinion. I've heard this a lot and I believe that the baby needs their mother the most during their first year. You can't spoil them, pick em up, love em, that's how you get such a strong bond! 
StephSlepicka
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:57 AM
I also had a preemie- 6 weeks early. He was the same way. there's no such thing as spoiling a newborn, they need you there to comfort them and make them feel safe and warm. I would say after 6 months then just let them cry it out. I held my little guy all the time when he was a newborn and he's fine.

mommyslilangel
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:59 AM
keep doing what ur doing.........ur baby needs u and that is her only way to express it............good luck......and dont worry one day she will sleep through the night.....haha.....i promise......

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

DyannaBeem
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:59 AM

Quoting drinkme8184:

its proven that you can not spoil a newborn, so pick up your baby whenever she cries, thats how she learns to trust you.
Amen! Remember she had you carring her non stop for 9 months (or however long you were preggo.) If you need to be hands free at times check into a "Moby Wrap" it will save your life, or at least your sanity.

teachermom252
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 2:01 AM
I loved on my son since the day he was born. Right now you are getting used to eachother. I slowly put him on a schedule that worked. It is not something that happens overnight. Right now your little one needs to know you are there. The fact that you worry means you are good mom. I don't think anyone does not worry. Enjoy this time they grow up fast and then don't want all the cuddling you are doing now. My son is now two and it is all those times I held him that make me happy. Now I have to wait until he wants to go to sleep or is just waking up.
monkeysmom21006
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 2:03 AM
You're doing everything perfect. It's impossible to spoil a baby that young. They need to be picked up when they are that young to feel secure. She may be fussy now, but she'll grow out of it. Just do the best you can. You're doing great so far! Don't listen to other people, trust your instincts. She is your child and you know best!
monkeysmom21006
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 2:03 AM
You're doing everything perfect. It's impossible to spoil a baby that young. They need to be picked up when they are that young to feel secure. She may be fussy now, but she'll grow out of it. Just do the best you can. You're doing great so far! Don't listen to other people, trust your instincts. She is your child and you know best!
mrskappy
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 2:04 AM
You sure do have a beautiful baby there.  I disagree, yes you want to pick up your child when they cry, but they are smart, they soon realize anytime they want picked up they just cry.  You won't get any rest as they grow up.  It is fine to spoil babies in some ways, but to me this isn't the way.  It is good for a baby to cry, ask any doctor.  It helps their lungs.  You don't want to let them cry over 10-15 minutes though.  Keep in mind, the more you pick her up, the more she gets use to it and down the road you will be sorry when you can't get anything done, cause she expects to be held all the time.  My daughter found that out the hard way.  Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)