Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should I take it off...my ring that is!

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 4:22 AM
  • 36 Replies

Poll

Question: Did/would you take off your engagement/wedding ring when you're pregnant and swelling?

Options:

Yes, of course silly!!!

No way, I'd rather have them cut off my finger!!!

Leave it on, but remove it when you swell...

No clue!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 166

View Results

Okay, so I'm 33 weeks pregnant with my first baby, and it's been VERY HOT here in northern cali!! My feet and hands have been swelling like crazy, I just talked to the doctor yesterday and it's not toximia or anything...just swelling, she said it's probably from the heat. But here's my big question, my engagement ring...should I leave it on or take it off? I don't want to take if off because knowing me, I'd lose it, or forget to put it back on after the baby's born...(not to mention you know who would probably have more then a few things to say about it). But on the other hand I don't want to leave it on, and them have to cut if off, or have the ring start to cut off circulation to my finger.

Did you guys take off your rings? How did you deal? (I feel naked without mine)...let me know what you gals think...

by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 4:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
m0m_3boys
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 4:27 AM
Just wear your ring around ur neck on a necklace so u don't lose it. That's what i did believe me u will feel better than it pinching u
girljen
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 4:31 AM
I took off my ring and put it on a necklace my husband had given me years ago.  I wore that necklace every day until about a month postpartum, when my ring finally fit on my finger again.

PROUD WIFE OF A STAY-AT-HOME DAD

CarebearLowe
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 4:34 AM
My husband and my mom made me take it off in fear that I would swell to much. I vote take it off and save your ring and your finger. I would wear it around your neck if you can wear necklaces. I put mine in our safe because necklaces bothered me. But I would take it off to be safe,
NattysMommy
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 4:36 AM

My hubby got me a necklace for my birthday so that I could wear my rings on it....I was only about 3 months by the time mine didn't fit any more :(

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

My myspace.com profile

vanvia
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 6:17 AM
My first pregancy I didn't swell too much, but I wasn't wearing any ring either. My second pregnancy I found out what true swelling was all about. I was put on bedrest my last 4 weeks of pregnancy due to the swelling in my hands and feet and my blood pressure rising. I took my ring off at about 7 months because I didn't want to risk it. It didn't bother my husband, he could clearly see my reasoning. The only time it bothered me was when I was out in public and I would see people first look at my daughter, then my big belly, and then the look of disgust when the saw no ring on my finger. It shouldn't have bothered me, but it did.

"If I'm not back in five minutes--wait longer."
Imma...
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 6:32 AM
whoops I should've clicked a different one...at any rate, even now when I'm NOT pregnant I take it off when my fingers start to swell...the last thing I need it to have to have it or my finger cut off!!

You're still married even if your ring is off!!  If you wanted you could by a "cheap" gold band that would fit when your fingers are swollen.

Congrats on your upcoming arrival.

Give your children a better future
one WITHOUT THE IRS

Operation Off the Fence
FAIR TAX -- no more IRS!!  NO JOKE!!
ElijahandJacob
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 8:04 AM
I took mine off and put it in my jewelry box so I wouldn't lose it. I kept my wedding ring on. My son is ten months and I still can't get my engagement ring back on.
emsmom01
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 8:11 AM
I didn't think about taking off my rings until I almost couldn't.  I thought my husband would be upset and so I put them on a necklace.  I was well into my ninth month before I took them off.

melissa48
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 8:14 AM
i felt funny about not wearing a ring but was afraid i would have to have it cut off if i kept wearing it...sooooooo   when we were in the store i got an inexpensive one as a temporary  one it wasnt a band or engagement ring but it was a pretty one with a pink stone just so i had a ring on that finger....then years later my fingers were swelling again when i wasn t pregnant      but i was going somewhere and wanted to have it on.... ;-(  then it was cutting so badly into my finger i had to have it cut off..better just to take it off and if it makes you feel better get a larger back up ring to put on in its place for a while....  also drink lots of water may help with the swelling..put your ring in a jewelry box and take a peek at it from time to time so you know its still there.
mommywine
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 8:15 AM
I had toxemia and had constant swelling...so I had to take my rings off. I bought a heavy gold chain with a safety clasp and wore my wedding band and engagement ring around my neck until the swelling was gone.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)