Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone babysit from home??

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 3:14 PM
  • 6 Replies
Hi Ladies,
 I was wondering if any of you SAHM's babysit from your home as well?  I am thinking about doing it this fall and just wondered how you like it and how much you charge and so on.  I have a bachelor's degree in elem. ed., but never got a full time teaching position.  I do not want to leave my son to go back to being a substitute so I thought this might be a better option.  Any info please let me know!  THANKS!!!
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MissLisaDyan
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 3:21 PM
I actually babysit my friend's kids over the summer for 2 days a week... I charge her $15 per day per kid... If i were to actually have a daycare open, it would be more like $20-$25 per kid per day.... If you are going to be watching kids from more than one family, you will more than likley need a day care license...
nemiller
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 3:26 PM
My husband's in the Marines and they have an in-home daycare program because all the daycares on base have long waiting lists.  When we move and I have the baby, I'm going to get licensed and do that instead of having an outside job.  It would cost about as much as I could make to afford the daycare just to have a job!  I'm sure it's going to be hard work (I've had full-time babysitting jobs before) but it's worth it to not worry about daycare for my child and make a little money.  I would suggest, though, that when you're talking to families, you set down specific guidelines for what you expect and what they expect.  I've seen a lot of people get walked all over by parents who show up late for pick-ups regularly, or expect you to watch kids every weekend, etc.
brownhoney21
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 7:20 PM
HI!!! I have a home day care and I like  it.I have two kids of my own.
In delawer you have to be licensed. If you are license you can get halp with food. In lower delawaer the rate is 100.00 a week for infants,75.00-90.00
for 1-4and 50.00 to 60.00 for before &after school care. I hope this helps..
If you make a rule stick to it.  SOME WILL TRY TO WALK ALL OVER YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! LATE FEE IS 5.00 a min.some 20.00 ever 5 min.No call No show in three days you will not have a day care space....
ladyvamp5489
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 7:32 PM
I do inhome daycare thru DHS  in Or. I charge  $2.50 and hour per child  and love it!  I currently have 3 children i watch besides have my  own 3 children  till school starts.  So i have very busy days  as i also help with the free lunch program they have here and the daycamp   here  too!   I am not yet certified but im looking into it.   I have had not many problems  with parents so far but i also have a packet they read and fill out!  I  found a wonderful website for all sorts of forms too so i was able to just change some of them to suit my situation too!  Its totally free too  so if you want it just messege me and i can give it to you.   Good luck .

Carol

Dawn504
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 7:35 PM

The day care i send my children its 17 for the 1st child & 16 2nd a day 165 a week. Some are more here im from Louisiana my friend pays 200 a week for 2 children.
Tarra30
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 7:44 PM

I GOT MY DAY CARE LICENCE HERE IN CA AND DID DAY CARE OUT OF MY HOME FOR ABOUT 2 YRS, I GAVE  BACK THE LICENCE AND DECIDE THAT I DONT LIKE KIDS...LOL J/K I HAVE 3 BUT I DID NOT LIKE DEALING WITH THE PARENTS AND I SET A VERY STRICT SCHEDULE SO MY KIDS STILL GOT SPECIAL TIME WITH ME WITH OUT OTHER KIDS AROUND AND MY RULES WERE VERY STRICT, BELIEVE IT OR NOT SOME PARENTS WILL TAKE ADVANTAGE VERY VERY BAD. I HAVE HAD PARENTS NOT SHOW UP DAYS THERE SUPPOSED TO BE HERE, NOT CALL WHEN THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE HERE TO GET THERE KIDS (THATS VERY HARD IF U SCHEDULE ALL UR APTS AFTER PICK UPS) THEY WOULD BRING THERE KIDS SICK AND GIVE ME ATTITUDE WHEN I WOULD TELL THEM TO COME PICK UP OR NOT LEAVE THERE CHILD HERE BECAUSE I DID NOT TAKE KIDS WITH THE POPPY'S OR A FEVER OR VOMITING. THERE IS A LOT THAT GOES INTO TAKING CARE OF OTHER PEOPLES KIDS AND ALL THE HOOPS U HAVE TO JUMP THREW IF YOUR GOING TO DO IT THE LEGAL WAY SO U CAN TAKE CARE OF MORE THEN ONE FAMILY'S WORTH. PLEASE IF U WANT MESSAGE ME AND I WILL GIVE U ALL THE INFO THAT I HAVE LEARNED OVER THE PAST FEW YRS. GOOD LUCK, AND I DID NOT MEAN FOR THIS TO BE DISCOURAGING I JUST WANT YOU TO REALLY THINK HARD ABOUT IT IT IS A HARD JOB AND PARENTS CAN BLAME YOU FOR THINGS THAT YOU DID NOT DO. ITS GOOD TO CARRY THE INSURANCE FOR DAYCARE TOO. ITS $$$$$ BUT WELL WORTH IT. WHAT STATE ARE YOU IN IF I MAY ASK?

TARRA DURBIN

also see us at www.myspace.com/tarraandtom

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)