Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How long do u need to water down juice?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 8:15 PM
  • 20 Replies
So how long do you need to water down juice?  I have never given my dd much juice, only water and breastmilk.  She's a very picky eater/drinker.  Since she wont eat much, I'm trying to get other healthy things down her.  I tried V8, didn't like it at all, also hates milk.  I just tried Trader Joe's Tropical Carrot juice (watered down) and she loves it.  I thought if I don't have to water it down that might be better for her or would it still be to hard on her tummy?  I only give her one (i think 6oz) cup since it takes her awhile (few hours) to finish it (yes I refrig inbtwn:-).

by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hunneydew
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 8:20 PM
WITH MY KIDS..THEY LOVED JUICE BUT I WAS REAKKY STRICT ON HOW MUCH THEYT HAD..SO I DILUTED IT WITH WATER AND GRADUALLY ADDED MORE JUICE, LESS WATER. AFTERSTARTING TO LESSEN THE WATER IT WAS ABOUT 1 MONTH BEFORE IT WAS ALL JUICE AND NO WATER...SO EACH DAY LESSEN THE WATER BY LIKE A SIP OR TWO. HOPE THIS WORKS FOR YA.
hunneydew
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 8:21 PM
ALSO MY KIDS WERE BETWEEN 7 AND 9 MONTHS BEFORE I STARTED THEM ON JUICE.
tntara
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 8:21 PM
my son is 17 months and I still water his down. It's just natures kool-aid (as my doc put it) and there really isn't much nutritional value
Jessica0407
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 8:22 PM
well they say water it down bc of the natural or added sugar in there... bc of course the docs dont want them to have too much...

my daughter is 3 1/2 and i STILL water down her juice sometimes
2boysforme
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 8:23 PM
I would always water it down.  Not because of it being hard on her stomach but because of the sugar in it.  If you are giving it to her full strength, then limit to 4 - 6 oz. a day.  If you are diluting it then keep it to the same amount but stretch it out with water.  Or even just use it to flavor her water some.  This is what my pediatrician told me anyway and my boys very rarely have juice and they don't miss it.  THe reason is, Juice is one of the main causes of obesity in small children...when parents let them drink juice all day long... can cause cavities, and cause diahrea.  (this is even with 100% juice...the natural sugar in it).

Hope this helps!

Edit:  I didn't mean that YOU let yours drink juice all day long but that that's why it causes those problems. 
Jesstsilly
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 8:24 PM
Thank you mommy's!!  This helps alot.

LORIE105
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 8:30 PM
HELLO,
I WATERED DOWN MY CHILDRENS JUICE UNTIL THEY WERE FIVE BECAUSE I WAS WORRIED MORE ABOUT THEIR TEETH. I THINK IF THEY CAN HANDLE IT WITH WATER THAN SLOWLY ADD LESS WATER AND SEE HOW HE/SHE REACTS, IF SHE GETS DIARRHEA GO BACK TO MORE WATER.

LORIE
hunneydew
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 8:31 PM
THIS JUICE THING MIGHT BE PARTIALLY WHY IVE CHANGE DOCTORS 4 TIMES IN 3 YEARS!!! I THOUGHT YOU WEREMT SUPPOSED TO INTRODUCE JUICE UNTIL AFTER MILK (1YR) AND MY KIDS DOCTORS' SAID JUICE WAS GOOD FOR THEM..AND MY PARENTING MAGS SAID THAT JUICE IS "UNFILLING CALORIES"
Laurie921
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 8:31 PM
My Son is almost 7 and I still do it and will contonue to do it...
Lorann24
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 8:33 PM
I was always told you could start juice around 4-6 months old. Always water it down, and never more than 4 oz a day.
Lori
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)