Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you shower or bathe with your child?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2008 at 2:13 PM
  • 202 Replies

Do you take a shower or bathe with your child of the same sex? Opposite sex? How old is too old?

by on Aug. 28, 2008 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
billysmami
by on Aug. 28, 2008 at 2:14 PM

My son is 23 months old and we take long or short baths with him, either his father or i will do it... he really doesn't care which one is in the tub with him but he realy doesn't like to be alone...

mommy_of_2sons
by on Aug. 28, 2008 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope. Never have, never will. I don't get enough time to myself as it is, so I love my 2 minute showers!!!

SenoraBrown75
by on Aug. 28, 2008 at 2:16 PM

I did w/ my son until K, still do once in a great while (mostly to to save water and get her hair really clean) w my DD who just turn 7. 

Both DH and I shower w/ our baby.

SunshineJJ7
by on Aug. 28, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Well, I did bathe with my son when he was an infant.  There was no one to watch him while I showered...so occasionally I would kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I haven't for years and years and years though.

My hubby doesn't normally take a shower with him...but he will if we are in a rush. Like once a yearish.  No real reason why....we just prefer seperate showers.   He's 5 now, by the way. 

metalmomma25
by on Aug. 28, 2008 at 2:19 PM

My daughter is 5 and just started kindergarten. I have always showered with her. We don't have a tub. She is afraid of the shower by herself.

krista778
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2008 at 2:21 PM

I did untill she got used to the tub, she's 7 mos by the way. Now she just sits and splashes and has a grand time! I sit next to the tub to be sure she doesn't slip and go under and to wash her but I no longer get in with her.

iamhis0
by on Aug. 28, 2008 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I often will take my sons into the shower with me, or they will hear me get in the shower and then want to take one, LoL. They are 4 and 22 months. We are open about nudity in our family, we want our children to have a healthy view of the body and nudity.

How old is too old? When either you or your children become uncomfortable. That age will be different for each family.

"It is dangerous to be right on a subject on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire

ColoradoMomma25
by on Aug. 28, 2008 at 2:46 PM

My kids take a shower on their own now. They used to take a bath together until my oldest hit puberty early and we decided to start teaching them about privacy.  When they were babies they were terrified of the bath unless someone was there with them but now they are all good with it. I think once a child starts school (oppopsite sex that is) then they should be showering or bathing on their own. By starting school I mean kindergarten on up not Pre-K..

Benjaminsmamma
by on Aug. 28, 2008 at 2:58 PM

I shower with my son. Honestly its just easier. I need a shower in the mornings, but trying to get one with him in the house by himself is just not possible. So I take one with him sometimes. Its not an all the time thing. Its usually just on weekends when we are home together and we need to go somewhere and my husband isnt home to watch him. Now my husband takes a shower with him everymorning.

Benjamin                                              Kaitlynn

09/12/2003                                             01/11/2000
is your husband a work-a-holic. Come join my group. http://www.cafemom.com/group/45733

Jessmom
by on Aug. 28, 2008 at 3:56 PM

My son took a bath or shower with us until about age 4 1/2. Mostly with my husband. He would either just want to jump in, even if he was clean or we would take it together, so we could get ready faster. When one of you start to feel uncomfortable, you'll know. I still dress around him, but I'll turn my back to him without being obvious. He doesn't really notice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)