Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Delivery Drugs...

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 5:10 AM
  • 22 Replies
Ok, here we go the big question...

I really really REALLY don't want to use drugs.

But if I MUST have them, I don't want an epidural.

What other drugs do they offer? What did you use??

Did it help??
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 5:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candelariaymia
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 5:14 AM
I had an epidural, but I've heard they can administer drugs via IV...it will probably not numb you, but just lessen the pain, not get rid of it completely...hopefully you won't have a hard labor...I didn't want to have meds either, but after 48 hours in excruciating pain like I've never felt EVERY 5 minutes, I didn't think I could push due to the pain and how tired I was...good luck!!
sarahmomto3
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 5:15 AM
I got the epidural all three times, which I dont know why, it never actually worked, and by the time I had my third it didnt work at all!! Good luck, I tried really hard with my first and waited all the way until I was 7 centimeters before I got it, I was in labor for almost 40 hrs with him. Just dont feel bad if you decide to get an epi!!!

I keep it real and thats a promise,I might be a bitch but atleat im honest!

August07
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 6:31 AM
hey there! im in the same boat as you, i dont want to use anything. good post though. i should probably be checking out what is available just in case! oh the joys of labor! how are you feeling? are you tired of people asking you how youre feeling yet?! haha! i am!
mandamae80
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 6:46 AM
I know there are someother things they can give you, but I think most of them don't numb you the way an epidural, and I think most have a greater effect on the baby. Have you talked to your doc? If you don'tmind my asking why don't you want an epidural? I know there are alot of war stories about epidurals, but I think there are even more women with great experiences with them. I personally had a wonderful experience. But i can understand why it can be scary. I had no trouble, they put it in no problem and I had no pain, just pressure.
2ajsmommy
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 6:48 AM
they have the epidural of course and then the morphine drip through the iv (which is really good if you arent in a lot of pain) then i dont know if they still administer the local (along time a go,  the local is all they really had)
diana76
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 6:52 AM
Oh, the wonderful thing called an EPIDURAL - - -
Don't Rule It Out Like I Did... and then begged for it
(LOL) 

Othwise, I don't know... wish I could help more. Be blessed!

WISCONSIN MOMS!!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/wisconsin
JSEsMom
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 7:49 AM
Stadol or Demorol - depending on your tolerance, these can make you a bit loopy, but will take the edge off if you are dead set on an epidural - the key is taking the edge off, not numbing you like an epidural would.  You should at least sign up for one before hand in case you change your mind when active labor starts.
JoyfulChaos
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 7:56 AM
You can do this.  I dislike like the "just in case it's too much, leave the epidural as an option" attitude.  There are intravenous analgesics.  I know Demerol, Stadol and Fentanyl are common IV drugs.

I knew going in that I didn't want drugs and I didn't get them.  I never second guessed my choice and my labor was pain-free.  My first also wasn't that bad w/o meds.  I used aromatherapy with my youngest.  It was great.  Very soothing and relaxing.

Pax, B

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
YoungMommy_of_5
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:03 AM
OH THE EPIDURAL!  I love it!  Let me tell you, I used to hear war stories about how dangerous and how unnatural the epidural was,  I feared to get it.  I had three children naturally and trust me it's nothing of fun, so when I got pregnant with my daughter #4  the pain was just too much, I requested the epidural and wow, instant relief!  If I knew then what I know now I would have never listened to half the stories people tell.  Don't ever feel like youv'e cheated yourself cuz you didn't go natural, natural hurts to darn much.    I'm having baby # 5 and I am getting the epidural, it's the best.  Trust me when your contractions start coming 5 minutes apart your gonna know what I mean.  Good luck! 
miller906
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:03 AM
I had I.V drugs at first the kind they gave me made you feel like you were drunk. Then it made me throw up so they had to give me meds for the vomiting. It helped for awhile then I starting closing down and wouldn't talk to anyone because my drugs were wairing off and I had to decide if I wanted more I.v. drugs or an epidural. With the next set of I.v. drugs you always have the chance that they won't work as well the next time.  I went to the hospital with the mind set that I wasn't going to have an epidural. Well me my coach and my mom all sat there and discussed the options while I was in the whirl pool. I eventually went for the epidural it didn't hurt, they just made me curl up into a ball which is hard when you are that pregnant. Weigh out your options check it out online. I went to baby classes that helped. It helped alot with the pain, but when it gets time for you to push they have to turn it down. You do have the possibility with the epidural that it will slow your contractions down, then they have to give you patosin which increases your contraction its not very comfortable.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)