Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What!?!?!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:25 AM
  • 12 Replies

I just read in another post someone said carseats expire.....? Are you serious, how does a carseat expire? Can anyone tell me? I have never heard this before!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

My myspace.com profile

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tgentosi
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:27 AM
Yep! I believe it is 7 or 10 years from the date they are made. The plastic gets weak or somethig
NattysMommy
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:28 AM

OH...wow I would have never thought of that! Thank you!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

My myspace.com profile

Boo463
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:29 AM

I think what she means is they often change the legal requirements on car seats and cars too, so you usually have to get a newer one..  A few years ago teathers weren't required in cars and now they are, and if you go way back and look at older car seats.. those are really flimsy and don't bukle in well....

Mom_of_8
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:30 AM
 On the back of your carseats there is a statement that says do not use this product after. On mine its december 31,2009. It is located just above the slots for the manual. Check it out..
hunneydew
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:33 AM
CARSEATS...YUP THEY DEFINATELY DO. IT HAS TO DO WITH SAFETY..I THINK BECAUSE THEY HAVE NEW SAFETY REQUIREMENTS AND THEY FIND BETTER WAY TO PROTECT KIDS ALL THE TIME. I MEAN THINK ABOUT IT WHEN MY PARENTS WERE KIDS..THEY DIDNT HAVE LIKE BOOSTER SEATS OR EVEN SEAT BELT LAWS FOR KIDS. SO CARSEATS JUST CHANGE WITH THE TIMES.
urromancelady
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:35 AM
That is part of the reason you shouldnt buy a used car seat!

Victoria Smida, Pure Romance Consultant

www.victoriasmida.pureromance.com

victoriasmida@pureromance.com

ENFenimore
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:37 AM
NO. actually they due have an expiration date on them. Just look on the car seat for it. Mine expires in june of 2008. I have a graco one.
Quoting Boo463:

I think what she means is they often change the legal requirements on car seats and cars too, so you usually have to get a newer one..  A few years ago teathers weren't required in cars and now they are, and if you go way back and look at older car seats.. those are really flimsy and don't bukle in well....

Tea4Three
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:39 AM

Carseats also get weak points in them from sitting in a heated car for so many years.  The materials used in car seats like plastics can become weak which would not fair if you were to get into a car accident.

I've also read that once a carseat had been in an accident that it should be replaced by a new one because points on the seat could have been cracked or damaged.  We were rear-ended last year and they lady totalled our car...she hit us very hard and seat belts and car seats saved my familes lives.

AuntGranny
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:41 AM
Never knew this,  Thank you for the heads up.  I will have to check all of our car seats now.
got1n1onthaway
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:46 AM
Nost carseats have a tag or a label that that info can be found, but it's true... Crazy huh?

* Dana *

baby development

pregnancy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)