Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

babys tantrums help please!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:56 AM
  • 10 Replies
please moms help me with my sons tantrums,when he doesnt get his way or wants to do something he throws himself on the floor, starts a fiasco in a store anywhere hes worse then he is at home. then he hits, u yell at him he hits me harder, he loves me i know that dont get me wrong but god forbid he does not get his way and he freaks.+ please help me
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:04 AM
how old is he? My son will be 1 this week - he does the same thing around the house.  He is generally well behaved in the store - but thats because he is occupied so far.   At home though he throws himself on the floor - bangs his head on purpose - he hits too.  Changing his diaper is a damn project.  He kicks me in the stomach - I am pregnant and had a complicated last pregnancy so I usually end up changing him standing up for now.
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:18 AM
so, from what I understand, you are just supposed to ignore them. As long as they are not hurting themselves, or someone else. when they get attention from throwing fits it encourages the behavior. Make sure they are safe and just walk away. the hitting thing, my daughter does it when she gets excited, I grab her little cheeks and look her in the eyes and say Don't hit. Sometimes I grab her arm with one hand and the cheek with the other.  
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:26 AM

hes 2 terrible twos but sometimes he throws himself and ends up hitting his head or something,.i usually ignore him but sometimes i get nervous hes gunna hurt himself

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:29 AM
My son is 2 and he also performs.  HOWEVER, I am not beyond tapping his hands when his kicking becomes intentional.  For instance, AJ will collapse when he does not get his way and then when I ask him to gently stop, he'll look me stone cold in the face and say no.  Now, I know the terrible 2's - blah, blah, blah...but kids today are SO SMART!  So, I try to deal with him verbally and gently...but when he walks across the room to swing his little hand at me - THE BUCK STOPS THERE.

Instantly, I turn into my mom...I tap his hand and speak in SYLLABLES - "DO NOT HIT MOM MEE".  AJ then cries (now for a reason), but will then simmer down and apologize.  I firmly believe you have to tame it now (and instill some fear) because when they are 14 - it's too late.
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:20 PM
Ignore him! Walk out of the room completely. If he is yelling, tell him your ears dont listen when he talks that way to you, and when he calms down you will answer or talk with him. Take him to his room....let him throw the fit in there...close the door behind you. If he does hurt himself, then of course he will come out and tell wont take long before he realizes this behavior is no longer going to get the reaction out of you that he is looking for.

Now the hitting for me is a HUGE no-no! I will not stand for my child to hit me or anyone else. They will go directly to time-out for hitting....and if it happens more than once in a day they will also start getting priviledges taken away, or their favorite animal. Oh one thing that really worked on my son, was putting his puppy (stuffed) in time out! He hated that more than anything in the world. So you could try that if the others things dont start working.
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:23 PM
My step-daughter used to do those things and I would just ignore her. Now days all you have to do is tell her that she needs to go in her room until she can act like a big girl and talk in her big girl voice. Or if she is screaming at her and you want her to stop I always say, "I'm sorry but I can only understand you when you talk in your big girl voice". That has seemed to work very well.
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:25 PM
you guys are absolutley right fear is exactly it but he doesnt fear me how do i dhow him im the mom and hes the baby, its like hes trying to parent me and knows what hes doing. you are right children are so smart the understand alot more than we think they do . i just want him to know im the mom and some things he is not going to get away with doing! ya know?
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:30 PM
Your not alone, my daughter is 20 months old and does the same things. She throws things and hits the walls and pitches a fit. I just posted something similar to this today actually.LOL Everyone said to ignor her. So I am going to try it and see how it works. Very rarly will she hit me and when she does I will grab her hand or foot or whatever she hit me with and tell her no we do not hit and i will put her in time out. Make sure when you put them in time out you expain why they are there so they know and I tell her not to get up until I tell her to and walk away. I usually only leave her there about 30 seconds because she is 20 months old and doesnt have a very long attention span and I want to tell her to get up before she gets unpatient and gets up on her own. So then she knows I make the rules. But hopefully the ignoring thing will work and she will stop throwing fits and being so whinny because it drives me nuts! Good Luck!
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:32 PM
I have the same problem and we are working on fixing it. My son threw a playstation paddle at me and gave me a big ole black eye. Do u know how many people I had to explain that to and hope that they believed that it wasnt my hubby who did it. Anyway, does your son go anywhere to be babysat?? We have found the root of our problem. Itsmy grandmother and my aunt. I love them to death and they have been so helpful to us but then again they give Gabriel everything he wants and let him do whatever he wants when hes there. So when we try to tell him no at home it doesnt work very effectively because he doesnt understand yet why he can do it at aunt Cindys but he cant t home. We are woking on getting everyone on the same page. It been hard butit will be worth it in the long run.
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:33 PM
My son is the same. Call me crazy...but I took him to the Dr's to make sure it was norma behavior. Ignoring it is ok. Also tell him its not do that, then walk a way.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)