Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAHM or Working Mommy??

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:35 AM
  • 44 Replies

I'm a little confused; I've talked to some SAHM and they told me that it's not as good as it seems, that they miss working because it was a way of getting out of the house and feeling independant and self-sufficient. I talked to working moms and they WISH they could stay at home more often. I guess, I would like to hear pros and cons about both options, if you have any input please let me know.

Thank you!! :D

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lakeland_Mom
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:37 AM
ive been home now for almost 20 yrs since my first born was born and ive never regreted it... i love it... i do however miss adult conversations but thats what i got ya'll for lol

Katie98
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:38 AM
A SAHM IS a working mom, just to clarify! But if you mean, do I wish I were out there with another full time job? No thanks! I've got a fulfilling job that has the best pay in the world, a child's smile!

Katie mom of 4 & proud Army wife!

Home Interiors www.homeinteriors.com/KatiePoirier & Tupperware http://my.tupperware.com/KMPOIRIER Online Consultant. honeybear25251@yahoo.com  (yahoo messenger ID honeybear25251)

Stop by and check out http://www.cafemom.com/group/everythingconsultant a group for Moms who love to party, pamper their home and self! Consultants are welcome to share their business. Everyone is welcome to shop, host shows and browse!

emsmom206
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:40 AM
I work outside of the home Monday through Friday and so the only time I get to spend with my 17mo baby girl is about 30 mins in the morning and about 1-3 hours in the evening (depending on when she wants to go to sleep) and then all day on Saturday and Sunday.  I don't feel like I spend enough time with her and would really like to be home with her especially right now when she is starting to learn so much, but unfortunately I have to work.  ARGH.  But I really don't know what I would do if I didn't work, I would probably go a little stir crazy, but I think that I would probably just play all the time with my Em.
i_love_my_bubba
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:40 AM
For me being at home with my child is much more rewarding than the job I gave up. I love knowing that I'm not going to miss anything and that he's is getting the care he needs. The only thing I miss is not having my own money.

lamascusmama
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:41 AM
I am a working mom...a teacher! so i get the best of both worlds basically. i work 9 months of the year and get to be a SAHM for 3 months. I really love being home with my kids and i wish i didn't have to work but i do get to be off when my oldest is and i get home relatively early. I do really like teaching also...i think it is a great profession especially for a mom. My hubby works at night so he is at home during the day with the little ones so i have no guilt in sending them to day care! i guess you can say i have a great life( sorry to brag)

ladyvamp5489
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:41 AM
I have been on both sides of this!  I really do love the SAHM best!  When i was working outside the home i would wonder what my kids were doing and what i was missing thruout the day! Now that im home i love to see and spend time playing with my kids!!!!  I wouldnt change this time for anything! 

Carol

lolamac
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:42 AM

I have done both......I enjoy working outside the home, I enjoy contributing $$ to the home and it works for us.It is a personal choice and some wish they could and some wish they didn't have to....(SAH or WOH.....either one)

Hi!

tirrrredmommmmy
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:42 AM
When I worked I just wanted to be home all the time (mostly cuz my kids came home from daycare sick all the time and learned bad things from other kids), and now that I've been home 2 & 1/2 years I want nothing more than to get out! I'm actually looking for a part-time job right now!
BethJordan
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:43 AM
I guess you could call me a SAHM and a working mom because I am home during the day with my son Patrick while my husband goes to his job. But sometimes when he isn't working any overtime he will watch Patrick while I go to my part-time job at walmart. Otherwise my family and his will help out caring for Patrick while I am at work. I don't mind being home with him during the day but to be quite honest I like seeing my co-workers and doing my job sometimes but most of the time when I am at work I am always thinking of Patrick and wanting to be with him and my husband. It's no win situation because there will be times that I can't wait to go to work but when I get there I just want to turn around and go back home.  So like I said I am torn but I do know one thing that I love spending the time I do have with my son and to me that is what matters the most.
holly02w
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:43 AM
I always dreamed that when I had kids that I would be a stay-at-home mom.  I wanted to watch my kids grow up and see all of their firsts.  Well, when the time came for us to start a family, we went through all our financials, looked at our budget, and it just wasn't possible.  I was going to have to work.  I thought maybe I could get by with working part-time, but the situation we were in just wouldn't allow it, for financial and insurance reasons.

I was sooo upset when I had to go back to work after my son was 2 months old.  I couldn't bare leaving him.  Thank goodness I  have a wonderful mom who has pitched in and watches Logan everyday while I am at work.  Without her, I don't know what we'd do. 

I started off working part time for a few months, about 25-30 hrs a week to get back into the swing of things.  Then, it became financially necessary for me to go back to a 40hr a week schedule.  It was hard for me at first, because I felt like I was being pulled in so many different directions.  But now, I guess you could say I'm used to it.

Working does give me the opportunity to "get out of the house" and gives me the chance to have "me" time.  It's nice not always being around your kids.  Sometimes you can just go stir crazy!!

If I had things my way though, and money and insurance were not huge issues, I think I would want to work part-time.  It gives you the flexibility to be out by yourself, and still have valuable time with your family.  Hopefully one day I'll get things my way!  Yeah, right!!!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)