Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Snopes.com (also a journal entry)

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:18 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am so sick of people referring to Snopes.com.  I was just reading someone else's journal entry about the ball pits at McDonald's and other places being dirty..yes it has been going around the Internet for quite some time now but it is true, they have removed all the ball pits in my area from McDonalds' to Chuck E. Cheeses'.Well someone had to put their two cents in and say well you should check this out on Snopes.com and because they tell you what are urban legends and what are not. HELLO this website is on the INTERNET what makes you think that this is any more accurate that these e-mails that are being circulated. I think some people need to pull their heads out of their a**es and realize this. You think it's ignorant believing these e-mails, well I think you are ignorant for believing this website.

Some other stories that people have posted (including myself) that are being told are not true:

-Taking in god we trust off Pepsi cans.

-Boycotting Star-bucks because they do not support the war.

-Not buying gas on certain days to lower gas prices.

What exactly is the harm in people posting these?Wouldn't you rather be safe than sorry? I would. If you don't believe what someone else is posting that's your problem, stop reading it.

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bee1981
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:22 PM
I think that when you read anything whether an email from a friend or a post or from a website you have to use some common sense and keep an open mind as who knows what's true and what's not but I would rather be safe than sorry!

TableforSeven
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:42 PM

The "harm" in posting what you read in an email without checking is that you can --
1) Panic people for absolutely no reason
2) Actually cause people to boycott a store/restaurant/etc for something that place didn't do
3) Actually cause harm to small business owners who make very little profit because you think you're hurting a large company (who will be unaffected)

Fine - if you don't like snopes....try one of the other myth-busting sites....or do a google search and check the facts yourself before getting other people in an upraoar over nothing.

That's just my 2 cents.

CaliforniaJill
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 3:35 PM
I don't know what Snopes.com is but I have common sense and rarely read these things.  To me they are lame.  I will have to check out Snopes now sounds like it is a good thing.
mandksmommy
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 4:25 PM
what good would it be to check other sites? the point is people getting their information from the internet.
Quoting TableforSeven:

The "harm" in posting what you read in an email without checking is that you can --
2) Actually cause people to boycott a store/restaurant/etc for something that place didn't do
3) Actually cause harm to small business owners who make very little profit because you think you're hurting a large company (who will be unaffected)

Fine - if you don't like snopes....try one of the other myth-busting sites....or do a google search and check the facts yourself before getting other people in an upraoar over nothing.

That's just my 2 cents.

madareamama
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 4:29 PM
I will admit that I have checked things out on Snopes and emailed the info to my MIL.  Partly because she forwards everything and things that say "Throw all of these medicines away" are a complete waste of money.  I don't know if she actually DOES throw them away, but forwarding them on makes me think that she sees truth in them.

If it's something that is just plain goofy, I don't bother, but when it's a "panic" email, I will check it out.  Having a site that shows how old, and in some cases that there WAS a recall at some point, but that things have since changed is nice.
uggs-lover
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 4:31 PM

Quoting TableforSeven:

That's just my 2 cents.

Yup. I feel the same way. It's not right to post something of any nature, unless you know it to be absolutely true and correct. Like.......well for instance, if somebody began circulating some b.s. about your child on myspace, you would be irrate. Wouldn't you? Maybe that just gives you a different perspective. Just trying to be helpful here....
mommameg
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 4:34 PM
I do enjoy snopes.com because I am kind of a skeptic, but I also agree with you about those people who scream at a person or treat them like they're idiots because they chose to believe a myth.  I hate the better-than-you attitudes of a lot of those women who respond in such a derogatory way. 
BlueFrogMama
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 4:34 PM

Quoting mandksmommy:

what good would it be to check other sites? the point is people getting their information from the internet.
Quoting TableforSeven:

That's just my 2 cents.

Just because something is on the internet does not mean it is not reputable. Likewise, just because something is printed in black and white, in a book or a newspaper, does not mean it is true. You have to be a discriminating reader and determine for yourself whether or not any source is reputable, whether it is a website, and email, or the New York Times. Part of what makes snopes a reputable source is that they cite their sources of information, and give as much evidence as possible to back up their position, which enables you, the reader, to go ahead and check it out for yourself. This is not true of the typical hoax emails.
mandksmommy
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 4:38 PM
those are two completely different situations. how can you compare not buying gas on a certain day to someone putting stuff about your child on the internet? no it does not give me a different perspective.
Quoting uggs-lover:

Quoting TableforSeven:

That's just my 2 cents.

Yup. I feel the same way. It's not right to post something of any nature, unless you know it to be absolutely true and correct. Like.......well for instance, if somebody began circulating some b.s. about your child on myspace, you would be irrate. Wouldn't you? Maybe that just gives you a different perspective. Just trying to be helpful here....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)