Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A little help here?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:53 PM
  • 18 Replies
My son is 5...too old to suck his thumb, but he does.  He only does it when he is tired but I am worried about his teeth.  Anyone know how to stop this?

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shielow
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:57 PM
hey jessica,

this might seem kinda of mean but have you tried dipping your sons thumbs in canned jalapeno juice if he dont like chile this just might work.

shielow
mama2allen423
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 1:00 PM
i used to bite my nails and my grandmother put tobasco sause on my fingers when ever shed see that i was doing it, maybe if you put a little bit on his thumb me might stop. my brother in law is 16 and still sucks his thumb, so if you try anything, try it soon and stick with it. GOOD LUCK!!!
marilela
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 1:02 PM
i found this on a website....

It is important to stop the thumb sucking habit BEFORE permanent teeth come in.  Breaking the habit sooner will make it easier for you, the parent, your child and their mouth!

If they can not stop on their own, by the ages of two to four, they may need help (we have three children who needed this help!)

bullet

Don't pressure your child to stop, this can reinforce the habit

bullet

Talk to them about the reasons and ways to work together to stop the habit

bullet

Praise them when they do not suck their thumb, caught them doing things right!

bullet

If your child's teeth are moving, talk to your dentist for personalized advice.

bullet

Set up an incentive system to reward their progress

bullet

Don't get frustrated with your child; this tends to make the habit worse.

bullet

If they suck because they feel insecure, focus on eliminating the cause of the anxiety or if they do it for comfort, offer them comfort instead of sucking their thumb.

bullet

Have them hold balls in their hands while they sleep so their hands are busy.

bullet

Taping the end of the thumb

bullet

Reward them for NOT sucking their thumbs

bullet

If your child is older, involve them in choosing the method of stopping

bullet Remind your child of his habit by bandaging his thumb or putting a sock on his hand at bedtime (you may have to duck tape the sock on!) bullet

Try the nail polish with cayenne pepper (it works well), if they don't chip it off :-) NEVER place this polish on an infant.  NEVER put cayenne pepper on any infant or child's thumb or fingers..it may kill them!

bullet

Have them wear a large shirt with long sleeves.  Button it completely on and tie the arms or rubber band them shut so they can not suck on their thumb.

bullet

Ask your dentist to explain to your child the effects of thumb sucking and encourage him to quit.

lisama
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 1:05 PM

I tried EVERYTHING and the only thing that made him stop was going to school. He was 7 yrs old when he stopped finally. I don't know what happened but it was out of the blue one day I just noticed that he wasn't doing it. I would always remind him when I saw it in there to take it out. and then I would start thumping the back of his hand (not hard but enough to get his attention)  I did that for like 2 yrs. Good luck, and if it bothers you real bad you can talk to his dentist and they can put a retainer type of thing in his mouth that won't let him stick his thumb in there.
Paula3teens
Dear Mom,
I too sucked my thumb as a child and my father tried everything to stop it. He even tried to bribe me my telling me he would get a kitten for me if I stopped. I did stop and then I got my kitten. Then I was right back to sucking my thumb with kitty, silky and thumb to sleep with. It was a security thing for me which I grew out of but not before I wore out my silky and a few blanket edges.
The good thing is I never had to wear braces and I have very straight teeth. I wouldnt worry to much about this problem if he is only doing it to sleep. If he did it all day long then I would be more concerned.
Hugs,
Paula
Alwaysamom25
How stressful. The chili thing might work, I have heard of alot of people using cayenne or hot sauce...if you do that just make sure he doesn't touch his eyes or privates.!!!!!..ouch....

Keep in mine though, he will get peer pressure to assist with his bad habits at school. If he only does it when he is tired, who cares, talk to the dentist if you are concern with his teeth but it shouldn't be doing that much harm, becides those teeth are comming out.

KEEP IN MIND, THIS WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM IN A COUPLE OF YEARS AND YOU KNOW WHAT, HE IS NOT GOING TO BE SUCKING HIS THUMB WHEN HE IS AN ADULT, IF YOU ARE WORRIED FROM A PSYCH PRESPECTIVE THAT HE MAY SMOKE DUE TO AN ORAL FIXATION JUST START STRESSING THE FACT THAT SMOKING IS BAD.

I think it will be fine. Don't worry. and make sure you are picking your fights, this habit won't kill him.
s29wood
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 1:06 PM
Too funny you would post this.  My son is 6 and my daughter is 2.  They both suck their thumbs.  My son sucks his thumb when he is tired or nervous.  He never sucks it at school or in public.  I was also a thumb sucker until I was just about 10 and my teeth turned out perfectly without braces.  My son just saw the dentist yesterday and he did not seemed bothered by the fact that both of my kids suck their thumbs.  They will have to have braces as they get older, but for other reasons not related to thumb sucking.  I really don't know what to suggest other than, just waiting it out.  My Grandma bribed me with a special gift when I was little.  That may work.  I don't know if I really agree with the old tricks of hot sauce, yucky tasting ointments and so on.  I figure they won't be in college doing it, and for now it is a form of comfort for them.  The best thing would be to try a positive reinforcement.  Let him set a goal or prized to work for.  Kids always love to earn things.  Good luck and if you find the trick, let me know too!
StlMummy
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 1:08 PM

My daughter just turned 6 and since day one she has sucked her thumb. Actually in the ultrasound picture, she is sucking her thumb while in my womb! Anyway, she only does it at night now when she is tired. I have talked to the pediatrician as well as the dentist and neither of them are too concerned. She still has all of her baby teeth. When she starts to lose them, it will feel weird for her to suck her thumb and I am hoping she will give it up at this point. Right now, the pediatrician has assured me that this is simply the security she needs at night. I have heard that is you take away a piece of security, you have to replace it with something... maybe a special teddybear or blanket. Honestly, I figure with our genes, she will most likely need braces anyway!

mama_ash

Quoting mama2allen423:

i used to bite my nails and my grandmother put tobasco sause on my fingers when ever shed see that i was doing it, maybe if you put a little bit on his thumb me might stop. my brother in law is 16 and still sucks his thumb, so if you try anything, try it soon and stick with it. GOOD LUCK!!!

my bfs step sister is 24 and still does it, plus she has a 4 year old that shes trying to get him to stop sucking on his thumb

sfox1
My girls never suck their thumbs but my niece did ..Her mommy  use hot sauce..I say try that.My niece stop sucking with in a week.She haven't done it again.

To realize that one do not understand is a virtue; Not to realize that you do not understand is a defect. The reason why The sage has no defect, Is because he treats defects as defects. Thus, He has no defects.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)