Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I the Only One...

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 1:02 PM
  • 21 Replies
who cares what the kids watch?  My kids don't watch a lot of TV, we don't have a video game system, and my 6 yo is just barely starting to watch a few PG movies.  We watched The Sandlot, and it was too intense for my 4yo.  I know my oldest is the only one around who hasn't watched the Spiderman movies, or Transformers, or all the others, but he anything too intense freaks him out and he doesn't want to watch it.  I try to follow what things they want, and turn it off if they don't want to keep watching (we tried The NeverEnding Story a few months back, and they only got a half and hour into it before asking me to run it off).
It seems like I am the only one who "guards" their childhood.  I don't want to push them, but I know that they are going to be teased because they haven't watched these movies, or don't know how to play video games.  They have tons of fun reading, doing art projects, and playing - dress-up, sports, with toys, etc.  Does anyone else have this "problem"?
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marilela
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 1:08 PM
no i allow my kids to watch pg movies, my son has a ps3 he's 7, and i don't think it's a problem as long as u know wut kind of games he's playing and control how long he plays! i don't agree with kids being too sheltered, the kids might be upset later like why didn't i get those video games or get to c that movie or wutever! i try to keep my kids innocent, but my 7 yr. old has learned a lot from other kids in school who r crazy, but there's nothing i can do unless i home school them but they won't have the social skills they get from going to a school!
queenoscots
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 1:33 PM

You're not the only one.  When my kids were little (They're just a few weeks short of 17 and 20 now) I was quite careful about what they watched.  I think you're doing the right thing by setting the example in your home.  Just be aware that you can't always control what your kids see outside your home.  Of course, at their age you're probably with them much of the time.

ceciliam
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 1:37 PM
My 18 month old shows little interest in TV. Somethings catch his eye but normally he'd rather play with toys or hang with me.

Fake n Fancy Diaper Cakes
mama_ash
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 1:43 PM
my bfs aunt has 8 kids. they all grew up without tv, videogames, or anything like that. they just recently got a small tv that they can get like 3 channels on, and they watch some movies, but very rarely. all of their children have grown up to be the most polite, and well mannered people i have ever met. these kids range from 24 years old to the smallest at 5. plus she homeschooled all of them up until college.

Ewalani
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 1:44 PM
I'm with you as well.  I don't believe in raising children to be "sheltered" however there are some things I don't think they're ready for especially the four year old.  She gets spooked easily at some movies and she has nightmares if she watches something to "scawy".  We try to limit their tv/ video game consumption and encourage them to play, draw or do something as a family.

My parents were way strict about everything especially video games and I used to watch what they were watching after I was supposed to be in bed by sneaking into the hallway!  I had a few nightmares as a result.
OneWay2Heaven
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 1:51 PM
That's cool that you and your kids don't watch alot of TV.  I know I let mine watch way more than they should.  But it keeps them out of my hair alot of the time (that time I probably should be spending and playing with them).  I admire you. 

It's crazy what's on just the regular TV nowadays, and I should pay more attention.  I try to keep up on things, but I should just limit them too.  So don't worry about your kids not being hip with the other kids.  In the long run you'll see the reward when they do the same with their children etc, etc. 

theygrowsofast
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 1:52 PM
My kids are pg only until they're 12.  Then maybe a pg13.  My 16 y.o. and I go to R movies sometimes (scary movies), but he's mature.  I don't know that I'll EVER let my 12 y.o. go to an R movie.

I was raised very conservatively.  If my parents knew what I let my kids watch (let alone what I watch), I'd be grounded (I'm 36!).
Ewalani
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Quoting OneWay2Heaven:

It's crazy what's on just the regular TV nowadays, and I should pay more attention...So don't worry about your kids not being hip with the other kids.  In the long run you'll see the reward when they do the same with their children etc, etc. 

I definately have to concur.  I find myself amazed at what is even on the cartoon channels these days.  I grew up with Scooby Doo and some of the classic Warner Bros. and it was nothing like it is now it seems.  I wasn't allowed to watch some shows and I got heckled a little by my friends but there was no long term damage done hee hee. 
sunflychick
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:00 PM
Hey, I think is a good thing that some of our kids are "slower" in learning when it comes to video games and movies..............my three daughters just started to play game CUBE AND GAME-BOY ADVANCE...They watch some movies but we don't rent the latest.................they do have more time for reading and been out doors and writing and all the good stuff I grew up with...............As long as the kids are not been prived too much.................and they sound like they like it the way it is..................I applaud you!
KailisMomma
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:04 PM
the only show my daughter ever actually watches is sesame street. she loves "Elmo's World." when other shows come on, she's right back to playing with her toys.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)