Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

solid food ?s

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:02 PM
  • 6 Replies
ok, my son is 5 months old, and the doctor has told me to start him on yellow vegetables first then the fruits. i was wondering how everyone else started their kids out. hes been having the rice cereal, and we tryed oatmeal, but he doesnt like that very much. he likes bananas a lot, but when hes eating with the spoon, he wants it to keep coming, and if im a little to slow, he crys and crys. so i was just wondering what everyone else did.

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
kellyhas3
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:38 PM
My daughter cried too if the food didnt come fast enough it gets better have you tiried stage 2 its thicker.  lso try mixing fruit with the oatmeal thats the only way my baby will eat it.

Jen85
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:43 PM
My son is 5 months as well. When he first started getting the cereal he cried because it wasn't coming fast enough, but I didn't give up and within a few days he got used to eating with a spoon. I did load that little baby spoon up because didn't think it was fast enough. Last week he started carrots and I started worrying about the mess he made with the larger spoon fuls so I started giving him just a little bit at the tip of the spoon, but he has gotten used to the foods now so he doesn't complain. My theory is that they don't like spoon feeding because there bottle is continous. With each break between the spoonfuls of food they are afraid you are done feeding them and they are still hungry.
jfields
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 4:54 PM
Naturally the first food we tried was cereal.  Then I introduced veggies next before fruits.  It takes them a while to get used to the spoon.  Hang in there - it will get better.  In the meantime KEEP SHOVELING...lol.

~~*~Are you always so stupid or is today a special occasion?~*~~
guelsgma
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 4:58 PM
 Well you already have your start. Just try getting the food in the mouth and he will learn to wait for the next bite just like you he is learning..
l0vebug
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 4:58 PM
My little girl ate just about anything you put in front of her. They say to do veggies first, because the baby doesnt have anything to compare the taste to, and if you do fruits, then chances are they are going to like the sweetness of the fruit, and not go to the veggies.. i guess you just have to try different foods until you see what they like
alabamamama
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 5:14 PM
I think Doc's recommend the veggies first because they aren't as sweet as the fruit. And usually babies like sweeter things :) this way they start liking the veggies too.  He'll stop crying soon... this in a big transition for him.  He's used to the milk practically pouring down his throat.  Good luck this is a fun stage!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)