Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lying

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:53 PM
  • 3 Replies
HELP!! My 4 year old has just started doing this terrible habit, he is lying! I mean about everything. I really don't know how to stop it. I have tried talking to him and telling him the difference between the truth and a lie but to no avail. I really don't know what else to do. He is now passing this habit on to his younger brother. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jennifer

Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Until our 7 year anniversary
Daisypath Ticker

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
ldsdragonmom
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:55 PM
Just wanted to say mine too...I need advice as well.
guam_mama
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:58 PM
My son is too young to even talk yet....but my husband suffers from a severe case of this bad habit and I have yet to find a cure...except raise my eyebrows at everything he says
momtimesfour
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 3:18 PM
At 4 years old, children still say things that aren't true for a wide variety of reasons... and being purposefully deceiptful is only one of them. Most of the time, they operate on the premise that "if I SAY something is true, then it WILL be true." Also, if they are afraid of getting in trouble, they really don't have the self control and nerve to just tell what happened and withstand the consequences. It's totally normal to try to make life easy for themselves. They really don't connect long term consequences with actions. The "right" answer is, of course, the one the parent/authority figure wants to hear - and in a way, that is true.

Be gentle, be firm, correct in the way you see fit consistently. This is a tough phase.

Best wishes,

MomX4

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)