Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Some Help

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 3:34 PM
  • 6 Replies
I have five kids and work a part- time job. I am solely responsible for doing all of the housework. My problem is I was raised that everyone helped pull their own weight in the house. I can't get my kids to help out with any of the chores around the house. Since all of my kids are school age except for 1 how do I get them to help out instead of leaving everything to me? I've tried grounding them and taking things they want away from them, but nothing seems to work. I am at my wits end. Someone please help!
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mom_of_8
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 3:52 PM
 I give rewards for the things that they do and take away priviledges for the things they don't. I have also used no dinner until the work is done and really between all of them it should only take about 2 hrs and everything would be done..I am having trouble getting them to understand if you just keep it picked up it wouldn't be so bad..  
BlueFrogMama
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 3:59 PM
Make a chore chart on a white board and give everyone a chore. Post it someplace very visible so they see it often. Rotate the chores so one kid isn't always doing the same cruddy job. Doing chores earns a reward or priviledge, and not doing it means something gets taken away. I've seen some families make up their own fake money and give it the kids for doing chores. Then the kids can use their money to buy rewards or priviledges that they want. And, although it will still take alot of your time at first, stand there and watch them do it right then and there if they keep "forgetting".
BlueFrogMama
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 4:00 PM

Quoting Mom_of_8:

I am having trouble getting them to understand if you just keep it picked up it wouldn't be so bad..  

I'm still trying to teach my husband that one...
tanijala
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 4:02 PM
my kid sare the same way i have tried things i have no extra money to give awards i going to have a parent aide i hope that will help some let me know if anythings works
Mom_of_2_Kids
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Quoting BlueFrogMama:

Quoting Mom_of_8:

I am having trouble getting them to understand if you just keep it picked up it wouldn't be so bad..  

I'm still trying to teach my husband that one...

Feel You On That...My husband is the worst of the bunch!  My 2 year old picks up more than he does..
gamomoffive
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 4:03 PM
I have tried both of those suggestions, but neither have worked. And as far as getting DH to do anything but complain about the state of things you can forget it. Any other ideas?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)