Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Did anyone else's ultrasound tech use the pelvic bone to find out the sex of your baby?

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2008 at 11:27 PM
  • 11 Replies

We had our ultrasound on Friday, and Yay!!! We're having another baby girl!  She's healthy and wonderful and we're so happy!  DH asked the tech if he was sure it was a girl and the tech said that since he looked at the pelvic bone to find out, that it would be very unlikely for us to have a boy. I guess this makes sense to me since they look at the pelvic bones on decomposed bodies to determine whether they were male or female.  I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen and was it accurate?

by on Sep. 15, 2008 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TygerLily62
by on Sep. 15, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Bump.

LisaKelz
by on Sep. 15, 2008 at 11:32 PM

im not sure! here's a bump for you!

BraydensMommy4
by on Sep. 15, 2008 at 11:32 PM

She didn't have to 'cause my son was flashing his weiny all over the screen. LoL..maybe she did it because saying for sure that it is a girl is a lot harder than saying it is a boy.

reluctantdragon
by on Sep. 15, 2008 at 11:33 PM

When they look at the pelvic bone for boys there is a poky point and if they look dead on there will be a little turtle which means Boy.  If there is nothing then it is a girl if they look dead on there will be 3 dots.  That is just how it is.

TygerLily62
by on Sep. 15, 2008 at 11:33 PM

He said that it's more accurate than looking externally.  I've just never heard of that before.  With dd I know they were looking for the three lines and the hamburger...

kdetone
by on Sep. 15, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Tech said she was pretty sure it was a girl well she was wrong!!!!

Here he is.

kdetone
by on Sep. 15, 2008 at 11:37 PM

EWWWW hamburger.

Quoting TygerLily62:

He said that it's more accurate than looking externally.  I've just never heard of that before.  With dd I know they were looking for the three lines and the hamburger...

stacey0716
by on Sep. 15, 2008 at 11:37 PM

I've never heard of them doing that, but it makes sense. Males and females have a different shaped pelvis. Females are more round and bigger. Males are more narrow.\

*edit,I thought I still had pics from my anatomy class saved but I didn't, here is something I found online though.

1.Male Pelvic Girdle
  2.Female Pelvic Girdle

Anterior view of the male female pelvis.  Several significant differences exist between the female and male pelvis (most of which are related to the requirements of child bearing).  Specifically, in females the pelvic inlet and pelvic outlet are wider than in males, the pubic angle is greater in females, and the ischial spines are shorter and more everted than those of males.

Susan0805
by ~♥~Susan~♥~ on Sep. 15, 2008 at 11:40 PM

Pelvic bone? I'm an xray tech and so I work with ultrasound techs and they scanned me for dd and this baby... what they look for to know for sure that it is a girl is three lines and for a boy well they see a penis sticking out. They usually get a shot from there bottom... so you will see both of there thigh bones and there genitals in between... of course it all depends on the position of the baby and whether or not they are giving them a good look in between the legs.

patrioticProud Airforce Wife/Veteran

stacey0716
by on Sep. 15, 2008 at 11:42 PM

I'm going to school now to be an xray tech!!

Quoting Susan0805:

Pelvic bone? I'm an xray tech and so I work with ultrasound techs and they scanned me for dd and this baby... what they look for to know for sure that it is a girl is three lines and for a boy well they see a penis sticking out. They usually get a shot from there bottom... so you will see both of there thigh bones and there genitals in between... of course it all depends on the position of the baby and whether or not they are giving them a good look in between the legs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN