Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is my baby getting too fat?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:18 PM
  • 10 Replies
I dont want to sound overbearing or anything, but my son seems to eat more that any other child I know his age. Granted, he was born big, 9 lbs 8 oz, but he eats everyday like clockwork, and he eats alot.

Every 2 hours he is eating 5-6oz of formula. And it is never less than that. Usually he will cry for more when that is gone. And it is every 2 hours. No later!
The thing about it is that he has been on this schedule now for almost a month and he is only 2 months old. Is this too much food? but he cries so hard when he is hungry, not sure what to do.................
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wyattsmom205
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:23 PM
My son who is now almost 7 mon. old went though that samething i would really try to space the feeding out to like 3 hrs because he might be getting a tummy ache.  Try giving him a passy my son loved sucking.  Good Luck.
lil_kim_413
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:23 PM
if i was you i would call your doctor and ask first but maybe you need to add a lillte bit of oatmeal or rice into his formula, my sister had to do this with her son soon after he was born and he was a 10lb. baby i never had this problem but my babies were only 4 and 6 pounds but if i was you i would ask my doctor and see if its ok to do that
mormagsmom
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:26 PM
It may just be a growth spurt. Is he gaining well? He doesn't throw up does he?
hudsosa
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:27 PM
that sounds like a lot to me, i had the opposite problem with my son since he was a preemie and we had to constantly feed him.  but i have never heard of a 2 month old overeating.  just talk to your pediatrician and maybe you can add rice cereal to make him fill up faster.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
mandamae80
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:49 PM
My son was the same way when he was that age, occasionally it would be 2 1/2 hours, but usually it was two hours.  He was 9 lbs when he was born, and is 19 now (he's 6 months, not fat by any means) I think it's fine, talk to your ped if you are really worried.
TySeansmommy
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:02 PM

Quoting Wyattsmom205:

My son who is now almost 7 mon. old went though that samething i would really try to space the feeding out to like 3 hrs because he might be getting a tummy ache.  Try giving him a passy my son loved sucking.  Good Luck.

I agree my son is 7 mons old and we gave him a passy, now I breast fed for the first 6 weeks exclusively then we did a combo for about 2 more weeks then went straight to formula.  He was the same way eating every 1.5 to 2 hours for a while after a while the passy  wore off, then we put in a little cereal (see below) after about a month he was spaced out to 3-3.5 hours.    A little oatmeal like 1 or 2 tbsp to a 5 or 6 oz bottle may hold them over... you have to cut the nipple of the bottle though because it's too thick.  We'd only do cereal bottles at night before bed and the 2nd bottle of the day...  and that seemed to work for the whole day.  If you're scared about using cereal talk to your doctor to see what they say... my kids have been lucky no allergies.

Beth
BassPlayingMom
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:05 PM
like a PP said, try to space out the feedings with a pacifier.  and try to switch some formula with water.  besides, he is only 2 mos.  perhaps he just has a healthy appetite!
mommy2caden
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:07 PM
Talk to your doc!  Do not put cereal in your baby's bottle!  It's a choking hazard.  Plus he's way too young to digest solids.  Seriously, ask your doc what you should do.  And when you do start cereal, always start with rice first, then oatmeal.  And use a spoon.  
mommyatlast29
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:17 PM
My son also cries hard when he is done eating, no matter how much he ate.  I usually still stop feeding him and try to burp him.  If he is still crying after a burp or two, then I give him a bit more and then try to stop after a bit.   I have heard of babies eating 8 oz at a feeding in short periods of time.  If I were you I'd just watch how his eating pattern is.  If he stops suckling fast and just does a few suckels and then stops for a bit and then a few more...he is probably just eating for comfort and is full. Follow your instincts though, and ask your doctor if you have any major concerns. 
NathansMommy577
by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 5:16 PM
Thanks for all the info! I asked the ped and she said that he is healthy and that there is nothing to worry about since he is not overweight. She said he must just have a big appetite and to feed him when he wants it. Still to me it sounds like a lot of food. But then again, I am new at this so I dont know very much. But thanks for all your help, you guys are great!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)