Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is My 6 Month old baby eating too much?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:20 PM
  • 9 Replies
My daughter Abagail just turned 6 months July 23rd (born jan. 23 2007). She looks just like her daddy and I believe she has his appetite too lol. But I can't help wonder if I'm feeding her too much?

Here's what her day/night is like:

Morning 7AM: 1st feeding 6oz of formula
Morning 11AM: 2nd feeding 6oz of formula
Afternoon 3PM: 3rd feeding plus 4TBSP cereal or fruits

She usually has 2 more feedings after this and a "midnight" feed (late night feed that will last her till morning 7 AM).

My question is am I feeding her too much? Does she still need that midnight feeding?
Should I feed her more solids?
She seems to be constantly wanting food!
I don't want to "reward" her food everytime she cries. I know her specific cries for food (she sounds like an angry cat crying lol).
Also, should I make her feeding gaps longer by an hour? I usually feed her every 3 hrs.
Please help, I'm so confused!

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mommieto2
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:28 PM

First off my little one was born on Jan 30.  They are close in age so with her I do this-

9 am- 8 oz formula and cereal (I don't measure it I just eye it)

1 pm- 8 oz formula and a veggie. This week we are trying green beans.

5 pm- 8 oz formula and the other half of the veggie or some cereal.

9 pm- 8 oz formula

In between she gets juice.

I would recommend trying some veggies. The doc should tell you to start them at 6 months at least ours did. Maybe try to ween her off the later feedings gradually or giving her a little more formula later in the evening.

Hope that helps. If you need anymore advice just ask or add me as a friend.

Nicole 

I also have a 2 year old and this was about the same schedule he was on.

Wyattsmom205
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:31 PM
She isnt on food yet i would say not enough food, my son is almost 7 mons old and he started food at 4 mon.  he eats now a 4 oz jar of cereal and about 2 oz of fruit and he has a 6 oz bottle like 30 min before he has breakfast he eats a veg meat and a fruit for lunch and dinner and he get all together 4  6 oz bottles a day.  he isnt over weight either he is 28in long and he is 19 lbs.  Good Luck
BabyBoyIskra
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:32 PM
I can tell you this much. My son is 6 mos old. He has been getting a little cereal in his bottle since a little over 3 mos. Believe it or not the formula did not hold him over. The pedi. kept telling me he should be able to go 1 hr for each ounce he ate, but that just wasnt the case and I wasnt about to let my baby cry for food. So right now he generally wakes up @6am and eats 70z with 1 1/2 tbsp of cereal then eats every 4 hours after that. His next bottle @10am will be 6oz with a scoop of oatmeal, then @2pm he will get 2oz of solids with 3or4 oz of milk, then @6pm 60z with oatmeal, and 10pm is his last feeding again with 1 1/2 tbsp of cereal and this holds him over till 6 or 7 am sometimes. But remember every child is different and eats accordingly. Like the doc always told me never let them suck a bottle dry because that means there still hungry. But since Kaleb has started solids his appetite is up and down. Its a little frustrating, but I just play it by ear. He lets me know when hes had enough.  But I think you should try to wean her off the late night feeding. If she wakes up or fusses try to sooth her back to sleep of give her her binkie if you use one.--Hope this helps-LOL
mandamae80
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:33 PM
My son is just a little older (jan 4th) I breastfeed, formula and solids. and this is what his menu looks like

5:30-6:30 Breast feed
8:00-8:30 1 Jar stage 2 fruit (usually he has 4 ounces a lil after)
10:30-11:30  6 ounces or BF
 1:00-2:30    6 ounces or BF
4:00- 5:00    another 6 ounces
6:15    1 jar stage 2 veggie
7:30 Breast feed and 2 ounces formula

I've also just added some cheerios for a snack with some water in a sippy cup at some point during the day

So no I don't think you are over feeding her. Have you checked the January 2007 baby group there are a few posts with most of the menu's we are feeding now.
BRAY-BABY
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:34 PM
MY SON MUST BE A PIGGY...HE'S 7 MONTHS OLD AND HE EATS...

5AM   BF

7AM   3TBS RICE CEREAL & FRUIT STAGE 2

10AM  60Z JUICE BOTTLE

12:30PM  VEGGIES & BF

5:30PM   2TBS RICE & FRUIT

6:30-7:30 BF

BF ONCE IN THE NIGHT

IS THAT TO MUCH...HE SEEMS TO BE OK

Greeneyes80
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:35 PM
I don't think you are feeding Abbigail too much at all.   I breastfed both my boys and they would eat every hour and a half.  They are growing so fast that they will eat a lot at this young age.  So don't worry..she's fine!  If she's not hungry she probably won't eat it when you offer it!  Hope all goes well =)
TySeansmommy
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:48 PM

As far as overfeeding or underfeeding...  If you go to gerber's website or to babystages.com they give you a rough idea of how much babies should eat (obviously they are averages).   My son is 7 months old (Dec 13th), we started him on jar food at 4.5 months (my 1st we started @ 4 mons (no allergies both are doing well)).  He eats an 8 oz bottle with cereal (eyeball it) for his 1st feeding between 4 am and 6 am.  2nd feeding is about 3-4 hours later 6 oz bottle and 1/2 jar of fruit.  3rd feeding 3-4 hours later 6 oz bottle.  4th 6 oz bottle and 1/2 jar veggie.  5th 6 oz bottle and 1/2 jar of "dinner" (fruit or veg mixed with meat).

Sometimes he falls asleep before the 5th but then if he gets up around midnight I make a 6 oz bottle and he falls back to sleep after I'm done feeding him.

On average my pediatrician said he should get between 24 and 36 oz of formula a day... hope that helps... 

Beth
ps when I say a jar it is a stage 2 jar of food... 4 oz. so about 2 oz of jar food at the feedings

madareamama
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:00 PM
I can't remember what my daughter was eating at that age, but I know that we were always AMAZED at how much she was eating.  It seemed like so much more than anyone else who had kids her age was feeding their little ones.  I will tell you that I was told by my ped to not worry about it too much as long as I was feeding her healthy food and as long as she was growing proportionately.

She's now 2 years old and is 36 inches and 31 lbs, so she's a BIG girl.  The thing is proportionate.  She's actually lost a little weight since her 18 mo checkup and we were also told that's normal since she's so much more active now.

Guess what I'm trying to say is don't sweat it too much!  Some kids just LOVE to eat!
natesmom500
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:10 PM
I would have to say No to late night feedings. Give a little more food. Baby is not getting full on formula. My 10 Month old eats as follows
7am 7Oz of Formula
10am 7oz of Formula & Cereal
1"00 Formula & Jar of food
5:00 Foumula & Jar of food
8:00 bottle with cereal and ready for the night!
Every child is different but cereal does fill them up, My son had cereal in bottle at 4 months and increased as he got older!!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)