Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

just need some ideas please

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:20 PM
  • 18 Replies
i have a 14 yr old, 12 yr old, 9 yr old and a 6 yr old. these kids think reading is a punishment. no...scratch that...they think its WORSE than a punishment. i have no idea how to get them to read. i have tried letting them pick any book they want...didnt work. i have tried reading with them...didnt work. i have tried enrolling them in a reading program at the library...didnt work. im out of ideas! can anyone help please. reading is a skill they desperatly need to servive in this world and they are all low on the scale for skills.
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blazyn_bxtch
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:23 PM
What about books on tape?  Or movies that were made from books (Chronicles of Narnia, Of Mice and Men, etc)?  HTH!
BizNurse
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:26 PM
How about rewarding their reading a book and telling you about the story with a night out to eat or something they like... pizza and a movie maybe...

Linda/CMAS, BS, RN aka "BizNurse" aka SAH "MOM"

brit2207
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:26 PM
I know I am only 21 and only have a 6 month old but I know some things like this...sometimes you have to be tough.Take away things that are like a privelige to them. Don't make it seem like they are in trouble just tell them no tv until they read for awhile. If you take away something that means the most to a child they will get the idea. That's how kids today are with all of the technology today.
TerryOK
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:27 PM
Hmmm, if your kids don't feel confident about their reading skills, then it makes sense that they would not want to read. Do you have any pets? I live in MA, and around here they have reading programs which pair kids up with therapy dogs, and it helps make the kids feel more comfortable reading aloud to the dog because dogs are non-judgemental. Also, it gives the kids positive interaction with the dog, and they can teach it tricks and it helps to increase self esteem.
Also, is there anyway that you could encourage them to read something that they are interested in, or a book that is going to come out as a movie, and then upon completion of the book they could earn some sort of reward, such as going to see the movie?
Just some thoughts. Good luck!!! 
stephelovesyou
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:29 PM
The thing is that you need to find books that they will love from the very beginning, for the two older ones I would suggest Bridge to Terabithia, or maybe Harry Potter... if they are already fans of the previous movies, offer to take them to see the new one but only after they read the book (or with bridge to terabithia offer to rent.)
For the two younger ones I would try maybe something different, like Shel Silverstein the poetry will make them (and the bigger kids) laugh, and you don't have to try to hold their attention for very long.  Try reading it to them, or taking turns and have them read some of the shorter ones to each other.  It worked for me!  I hope this helps some

acj316
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:29 PM
Let them read magazines, comic books, or anything else. I'm a teacher and I've even had students read their Game Boy/Nintendo instruction books for nightly reading. I always tell parents it doesn't matter what they're reading as long as they are practicing! Also, do you ever read in front of your children? Sometimes it helps if they think they are doing something that you enjoy as well.
Crystal547
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:30 PM
Hi.  Yes, sometimes getting kids to read can be hard.  I work  with behavioral children who are usually very low readers.  I know  a lot of people will disagree with this, but I use a huge reward system.  Don't make them read alot at one time, but a small about, then ask them one or two question to make sure they understand what they have read.  Then treat them to a nice reward of ya'lls choice.  Ask them for their opinions  as far as the reward goes so they will be excited about receiving them.   Just one opinion...Good luck!
sfox1
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:32 PM
Well I got my girls to read by giving rewards..like fake coins to use for things they aren't allow to do ...Like watching the tv or playing on the computer for 30 minutes,getting pizza or..I know this is bad but getting MacDonalds..Since I did the coins they been going thu books like crazy..they gotten all the prizes from the reading progam at our library and they even bought a couple books w/their own pocket money...I knew it not a wonderful idea but it a start.Hopefully they get to start loving reading as much as I do and I won't have to use the coins system.

To realize that one do not understand is a virtue; Not to realize that you do not understand is a defect. The reason why The sage has no defect, Is because he treats defects as defects. Thus, He has no defects.
Liz814
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:34 PM
I wish i could be of more help. my girls love to read and to them its a punishment to tell them to go to bed or put the book down at the table while eating, or taking a bath.
 my only suggestion would be to start a rewards chart, for 20 minutes of reading they get to up a sticker up and who ever fills their chart for the week gets to do something really fun, or gets extra time with the video games or computer, an extended bedtime, or whatever.
LaRock
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:37 PM
      My kids are all really good reader now.  My second daughter had a problem called to active to sit long enough to read.  Well she wanted this babysitter books so I made a deal with her if you read both books then I will buy you the next one.  Well it worked she went from now mind you she was in the 8th grade from an 8th grade reading level to a 13 plus grade reading level.  Man she said there is alot of good stories between two covers.  I read to my kids everyday just before nap time for about an hour.  I also read to my daycare kids.  And at night at bedtime they had no place to go.  I started with the nursery rhymes and when my kids got older we read chapter books like charolettes web.  one chapter a night. 
           Find books that they have an hidden interest in something that intrigues them alot. Or just start by sneakin in readin into their everyday life like simply reading the back of a ceral box little things like that. Just take baby steps.  This last paragraph was written by my 16 year old daughter.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)