Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG HAVE YOU EVER.........AND HOW DID YOU DO IT?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:54 PM
  • 9 Replies
ok so DH and i are thinking about moving back to NC where we are from. we live in WVa right now. when we moved up here i was pregnant and we had to live with my in laws for about a year after that. Now his job is cutting his hours really bad and we know we can get jobs down in NC...the problem is we dont have the money to just up and move...we will have to live with my grandpa for a while till we can save up and move into our own place again. what i want to know is if you have ever moved to a new state how did you do it.? and did you have kids when you moved? how did you save up the money to move? I dont want to just up root my kids ( ages 2 and 8 months). I want to make sure every thing is right so its an easy transition for them....

thanks for any advice in advance
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
blueeyes30
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 12:00 AM
I just moved to SC close to NC with my 2 year old.  i have moved more times than i can count (former military) ..  there are alot of expenses with moving into a new partment or home (like we did) but if you are moving in with your grandfather it shouldnt be that bad.. and it wont take you long to save the money if you are frugal. mobving is stressful, but each time i told my self, it something new, and a path to the future...

katiesmom113
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 12:04 AM
I just moved from Texas to Illinois.  I have an 18 month old, 2 cats a dog and my husband who never left Texas in all his life!  We just used our income tax refund and were broke as hell when we got here!
starfire59
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 12:04 AM
SWEETIE,  NOTHING WILL EVER BE JUST RIGHT, BELIEVE ME. YOU DO THE BEST YOU CAN AND CUT THE CORNER'S YOU KNOW YOU CAN CUT. BUT SERIOUSLY WHEN YOU GET TO WHERE YOU'RE GOING,  APPLY FOR  WIC THIS IS FOR CHILDREN AND IT PROVIDES MILK, CHESSE CEREAL PEAANUT BUTTER,  ALSO YOU CAN APPLY FOR EMERGENCY FOOD STAMPS THIS SHOULD SEE YOU THRU THE FIRST COUPLE OF MONTHS  AND BY THAT TIME YOU SHOULD BOTH BE WORKING..   GOOD LUCK!
ladyvamp5489
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 12:05 AM
We moved from AZ to OR with 3 kids a puppy and 2 guniea pigs  in a car and a car topper!!!!!!!  We had no jobs in OR but the drs told me if i didnt get out of AZ i would die  ( i have severe asthma)   We had my hubbies retirement from his job that was it so we were in a motel for a few weeks and ended up sleeping in our car too   we had so many ppl here in OR helping us   and were in an apt now for almost 2 yrs and it took DH 2 weeks to get a job!  But you should be doing better if you have a place to stay!!!!  Good luck!

Carol

Greeneyes80
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 12:06 AM
Moving is definitely a scary thing..especially to a different state, and with kids.  My husband and I and our 2 kids just moved to MT from WA state and it was a hard adjustment for us all..but we are finally settling in.  We used our tax money to move and it took every penny to do so.  But now he has a good job and everything seems to be going smooth now.  Your kids will adjust,  but it may take a few weeks.  My 5 year old had a bit of a time adjusting..but he's doing well now.  Good Luck and hope all goes well!
Jess5377
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 12:08 AM
I have not moved out of state but i have moved across the state. We had to stay with family at first and borrow money, but we paid it back and now we are ok. Good luck!!! Oh, and I think your doing it at a good age for the babies b/c they arent in school yet. Your doing the right thing and being a good mama by thinking about how it will effect them.
onemomsopinion
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 12:33 AM
We've moved much.   Only twice have we moved since our son was born.   He was six months old and 3 years old.

The baby move was hard.   I didn't do much that move as I carried him around the whole time.    The move to our last home was easier as I flew my mother out to play with Harley.  She played with him and took him to the park and such while the rest of us did the moving.  

We've never had anyone move us.  We always rented a truck, packed everything up and off we went.     Our longest move was from Syracuse, NY to Denver, CO.     It was 4 long days and our dog hated us by the time we got to Colorado.      We stayed with relatives the first night, the second night we camped in a tent and the third night, we stayed in a hotel. 

Cleaning out  your home with whatever you don't need to take is a good idea before the move.     You need to figure out how much you have to move and figure out how to manage with the kids if your doing a do it yourself move.    Then, start comparing rental company prices.    If towing vehicles, you should get platform that keeps the entire car off the ground.    That way, you won't have too worry about blowing a tire or anything on the drive down.

If one is driving the truck and the other is driving a car--that would be quite hard.     Given the distance that you'd have to drive, I feel you need the adults together to take turns driving and/or keep each other awake.  

It all depends on the urgency of moving, what all you have to move, how many cars, etc.      Can family help you move?

Good luck.  
teacherribbitt
by on Jul. 27, 2007 at 6:54 PM
we ust did it in nov.  and my son was then 20 mo.  for us even though it was a difernt state its only 45 min from our old house and hubby was already working out there so id pack all day with the oh so generous help from my son and the hubby would take a load of boxes to work with him the unload after work. then we set a date for the big things like couch bed ect and had everyone i knew with a truck come and we did what was left in 2 loads(we had 4 trucks!) then while hubby went to work everyday with miguels help or what e thought was help i unpacked. got it done in 2 weeks(the un packing)

http://www.GlitterMaker.com/ - Glitter Graphics
   One of a kind, handmade, beaded jewelry 

www.designbyjenn.blogspot.com

Daisypath Ticker

heatherdm
by on Jul. 27, 2007 at 6:58 PM
This is something I want to do also...I just want to move to a new area of the country. It sounds fun and exciting, to me anyway...not to my hubby. We were going to take our income tax return and do it.  I hope one day he will let us.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)