Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scary Trip to ER(Kinda long, posted in more then one group)

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:42 AM
  • 10 Replies

I had a very scary trip to the ER today. My sister who lives with me woke up today and told me that she had a headache, no big deal right gave her some headache stuff and told her to lay down till she felt better. But then she says she is nauseous and dizzy. Well my first thought is it is really hot in our house and it could be the heat so I tell her to come outside with me and lay in the shade. Well then something happened that literally almost scared me to death I looked at her and half her face was sagging and she started talking strange and it basically looked like half her face had stopped working. So I panicked and rushed her to the hospital. When we got there she said she couldn't feel half her body and I thought OOH MY GOD MY 10 YEAR OLD IS HAVING A STROKE!!! She was unresponsive to the doctors and she started vomiting so the IV went in and so did the drugs then it was off to the MRI to make sure she was not having a hemorrhage or something like that and after 5 hours they told me she had a migraine with stroke like side affects. Well I have never heard of that and I just couldn't believe it but they say that they want me to take her to a Pediatric Neurologist next week to find out better what is going on. So that was my scary scary day for both me and my beautiful sister. Just thought I would share and see if anyone has every heard of a Migraine that does this or had it happen to them so I can get a better idea of what is in store for us next week!

by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TJones32
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:47 AM

Wow that sounds scary.  I have never heard of stoke like symptoms with a migraine before and I get migraines all the time.  I will have to do some research on it.  I will let you know if I find anything that may be useful to you.

Hugs,

Tracee

blue_tiger_rose
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:55 AM

Thanks I tried looking at Web MD and I couldn't find anything about stroke like symptoms with a migraine. I just want to figure out what caused this.

vonnie1099
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 2:32 AM
i get these types of headaches and they can be pretty scarry my hubby still takes me to the hospital he saids better safe then sorry
MississippiGirl
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 2:44 AM
Yes.  My best friend had a stroke last year that started the same way.  It was actually a constricted brain nerve of something of the sort that acted like a stroke.  Hers was triggered by multiple migranes.  It's controlled now by meds.  It scared us very much.  she even went blind in one eye.

The nuerologist will help you.  She'll be fine.  Sorry to hear about your scary day.
wife03
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 2:45 AM
my sister has had that happen to her one side of her face sagged and she had slurred speech same thing with my uncle they get migraine pretty bad

Wife308

NattysMommy
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 2:46 AM

I'm sorry never heard of this but I hope everything turns out ok for her.....what a scary thing to have to go through!!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

My myspace.com profile

sarahsmommy1005
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 2:56 AM
OMG that sounds like Bells palsy but I didnt know that could happen to kids. I hope she's ok though

hcmerrell
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 2:57 AM

Yes, I have heard of this.  How frightening for you!!
I have had what my neurologist calls "non-headache migraine episodes".
I get tingling in one hand, and in my face, my vision goes bury, and I feel like I cannot put two sentences together. And I feel like i can't think straight.

It passes after a while, but it's frightening while it is happening!

I hope you get some  helpful answers from the neurologist, and some good advice about how to care for your sister, going forward!
julsie5
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 3:06 AM
As an ER nurse I can say that I have seen these symptoms from a migraine. I agree that it can be VERY scary! I am sorry that this has happened to you and your sister and I hope that it never happens again! All I can stress is to make sure and follow up as directed because further testing my need to be done.

Take Care,
Julie
blue_tiger_rose
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 3:17 AM
 Thank you for all your advice, I feel more at ease now knowing that  this has happened to other people. I am going to follow all the orders that the doctor gave me because I want to make sure she is okay  and  her health and safety are #1. So I thank you all for your kind words and advice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)