Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Does rubbing alcohol kill fleas?

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2008 at 8:50 PM
  • 10 Replies

Ok, before i get PETA involved, i have no intentions of putting it on my animals. I had heard diluting rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle & spraying beds/furniture would get rid of them. Is this true??? And if not anyone have a home remedie????

by on Sep. 29, 2008 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Callie-bishop
by on Sep. 29, 2008 at 8:52 PM

We rubbed baby oil on our dogs, It smothers the fleas, then you give them a good bath. it work for getting them off  but the fleas can come back soon if you don't flea bomb everything.

bugnroosmom
by on Sep. 29, 2008 at 8:54 PM

thx! i'm trying to avoid bombing the house. everyone is on different schedules & it says u have to be gone 6-8hrs.(my sis lives here too)

redhot82
by on Sep. 29, 2008 at 8:58 PM

uhm... i asked my hubby who is an exterminator and he said no it will not kill fleas. sorry. if you bomb than just make sure to wash everything down after including your walls, etc. also, you will have to keep vaccuming everyday for like 2 weeks and take your vaccum cleaner out side and empty if after every use.

good luck!

bugnroosmom
by on Sep. 29, 2008 at 9:07 PM

THX!

Quoting redhot82:

uhm... i asked my hubby who is an exterminator and he said no it will not kill fleas. sorry. if you bomb than just make sure to wash everything down after including your walls, etc. also, you will have to keep vaccuming everyday for like 2 weeks and take your vaccum cleaner out side and empty if after every use.

good luck!

mom2three96
by on Sep. 29, 2008 at 9:10 PM

I wash my dog with Dawn (the blue kind) and I have a flea spray that works pretty well, it is Adams brand. We had them really bad, until I started using this...

scarecrow

adri_nevarez
by on Sep. 29, 2008 at 9:14 PM

In my experience with fleas, a professional exterminator is the best call.  Most professional places offer guarantees for 3 months so if you see even one flea they will respray your home at no additional charge.  I tried so many home remedies and even sprays that you buy at Wal Mart but once the exterminator came they were long gone.  BTW... I looked around and Orkin was going to charge $108 for them to come out and spray and a fully licensed professional place that was local charged me $37 inside and out. 

littlelady1
by on Sep. 29, 2008 at 9:15 PM
bring in some eucalptis (sp) fleas hate it even the oil will work

vivian mom to gracie and johnny

momaloveof3
by on Sep. 29, 2008 at 9:59 PM

vinegar and water to spray on you pets.

orange peel and water to kill them. 

oh and shampooing will kill them.

I googled home remedies to killing fleas and we got a bunch of different things you can do.

The most successful way I've used to get rid of fleas was as follows:

1. Fill a shallow, large basin with soapy water.
2. Place it on the floor of the room where the fleas are located.
3. Place a shade-less lamp next to the basin.
4. Turn off all lights in the room except for this lamp.

The fleas are attracted to the light. They will try jumping at the light but when they come back down from their jump, they will land on the water. Normally, they are too light to break the water's surface tension. However, the soap weakens the surface tensions and the fleas drown.

The first time I tried this, it took a couple of nights for all fleas to be gone.

Also, be sure to regularly wash your pets, particularly if they've been outside.

If the flea bites on you are itchy, try a baking soda bath. This will often soothe itching in a lot of people. Chamomile lotion may also work.

kmorgan26
by on Sep. 29, 2008 at 10:02 PM

a pan of water with a night lite right above it works wonders.  the fleas jump to the light and falls in the water and drowns

bugnroosmom
by on Sep. 30, 2008 at 8:59 AM

thx 4 all the tips. i ahve got to do something!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN