Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Dilemmia

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:29 PM
  • 10 Replies
My son is ready to be potty trained and I can't haredly ever get him to even sit on his potty.  I have tried just about every kind of reward that I can think of, if someone has a suggestion, i am open to them.  Thank you
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommygrimm
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:32 PM
Have you tried letting him go with his dad ? It worked for my son and hes all about it now . Plus we let him pick his own new underoos out and he thought that was cool . We did the treats everytime he went potty but eventually thats all he wanted and he would pee a dribble and want candy . I eventually just went to no candy for pee just poop and then when that got good it went to a few days with no accidents you got a special treat . We did that for a month and now we do nothing and hes doing wonderful and only wears diapers at nighttime .
sweetcheeks4205
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:39 PM
I dont know if this will work for a boy but heres how i potty trained my daughter...  after weeks of failed attempts to get her to go, she was indeed ready for the potty my mom suggested I do the same thing she did to get me to go on the pot and that was let my daughter run around with just a nighty or big t shirt on and no undies... Well i did that and needless to say it worked! The very 1st time she had to go she ran in the bathroom all by herself and went pee and yelled at me very excitedly that she went on the potty!! But like i said i dont know if it will work on a boy but i cant hurt to try... good luck!!!
Mommygrimm
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:44 PM

The naked thing does work . we did it with my son as well . We tried pullups but he just treated them like a diaper so waste of money if you ask me .

blueeyes30
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:48 PM
i have the same problem. my son went for 2 weeks, then said no more potty mommy.  he tells me diapers are for babies and the potty is for big boys.. but it hasnt made him decide he will use the potty. i am going to try the cherio thing.. have him sink the cheerios.  then after that, it may not happen til hubby gets back from deployment.. then he can watch daddy.

sweetcheeks4205
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Quoting Mommygrimm:

The naked thing does work . we did it with my son as well . We tried pullups but he just treated them like a diaper so waste of money if you ask me .

I totally agree about the pull ups! I bought my daughter the cool alert ones and I dont think they got cool... at least she never said it felt different!

lapayasa
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:15 PM
My son was like that so my husband taught him to pee standing up. When we started potty training him 2 mnths ago he would always poop in the potty but not pee. But, since my husband taught him to pee standing up we have had no accidents. Good luck

monny033
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:19 PM
i have been having the same problem my daughter is 4 years old and i cant get to use the potty my 5 year old just one day said i have to go and he went and the was the end of pull ups but my daughter wont once in awhile she will but she is not conceited
TySeansmommy
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:27 PM
Do you mean age wise he's ready to potty train?  I was a preschool teacher in the potty training room...  one thing I found many parents forced the potty training and their kids didn't know how to tell.  If your son can tell you he needs to be changed or has to go then he's def ready, but here are some things that we found worked.

One thing we did was for parents who were trying it at home one of the teachers would take the child in to the bathroom about every hour, sit him on the potty for 1 round of ABC's and the itsy bitsy spider, then pull him off.  I've found that if you use the pull ups many times the kids think they are diapers and go in them anyways (this was 5 years ago before the "cool feeling" ones).  The other thing we did was have the parents bring them in, in underwear with like 6 changes of clothes just in case.  For our boys these seemed to work after 2 weeks.

I'm actually getting close to wanting to train our oldest (he's only 21 months now) but we're going to wait until he's about 2.5 to start trying... 

Good luck!

Beth
ps most of the boys were almost 3 before they got it...
tamee
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:30 PM

My cousin just suggested to me to let them blow bubbles in the bathroom, when they go potty...or perhaps even if they try.Even though they usually aren't aloud in the house. I just started this with my two and a half year old and she loves it.

pattys518
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:39 PM

WHEN I STARTED POTTY TRAINING MY 4 YR OLD AT AGE 2, I STARTED HER BY PUTTING HER POTTY NEXT TO THE TOILET AND EVERYTIME I WENT. I WOULD TAKE HER AND SIT HER ON HER POTTY, EVEN IF I DID NOT HAVE TO GO I WOULD DO IT JUST TO GET HER USE TO IT. I WAS ABLE TO GET HER TRAINED IN 3 WEEKS. SHE ACTUALLY STARTED TO GO SIT ON IT WITHOUT ME GOING IN WITH HER.
GOOD LUCK 

Generate Your Own Glitter Graphics at GlitterYourWay.com - Image hosted by ImageShack.us

Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Feel free to join my groups

Are you an older mom - http://www.cafemom.com/group/10283Need to bitch / vent - http://www.cafemom.com/group/bitchclubGot a kid who don’t / won’t poop - http://www.cafemom.com/group/kidswhodontpoopKids w/ tubes in ears - http://www.cafemom.com/group/tubesinearsMoms with Fibromyalgia - http://www.cafemom.com/group/Fibromoms
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)