Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

awful inlaws ... am I overreacting and selfish ?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:53 PM
  • 21 Replies
Okay let me fill you in . We moved about 10 months ago away from out hometown. My husband and I grew up together from kindergarten on and got married .Small town for ya right . Anyway I used to get along with his family until the day we got married . Now they hate me and spread awful lies about me and I hear about it all the time . Its horrible and I dont say anything to them because its my husbands family and I have learned you have to bit your tongue at times . Okay so heres the kicker . I have a friend from my hometown who is coming to visit me . We have had this planned for almost 3 months now and shes got her plane tickets and is showing up Monday . Well I got a call from the in-laws yesterday saying how excited they where to come visit and they would see us Tuesday night . WHAT THE HELL!!!!! My husband ( yes we will be having words trust me !!! ) didnt even tell me that they where coming and he knew about my friend coming because I asked if he cared if she came. I dont want his family there because then I have to babysit them while my husband is working and he works crap hours so he goes in at 5 am and gets home sometime after 10pm . I am not sure what to do . They are driving down ( its a 6 hr drive ) so they could change their plans to next week even but I am affraid to say anything to them . My friend has never liked them and its going to be super uncomfortable to have them all in the same house . Any suggestions ?
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyott07
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:55 PM
Well, because you already had made plans with your friend for 3 months, let the inlaws know that and say sorry that you need to reschedule it. If they think bad of you for that, then oh well. It's not your fault, your husband knew that your friend was coming down that week. good luck hon :0)
newmom03
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:56 PM
tell them not to come. or better yet. tell ur husband to do the dirty work cuz its his fault. i swear guys can be so stupid!!! stand up for urself. dont jus sit back and take it cuz it will NEVER get any better!
JuJuBee07
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:57 PM
That totally sucks!!! I would simply call and tell them that you already had plans for this upcoming week, and that they didn't give you enough notice so you would like it if they could move their plans to the next week or something since it's easier for them to change their plans... If they don't like that then I would tell them and your husband, that they are not welcome in your home if they can't respect you! Good Luck :)

~*Jess*~

~*Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake*~

Mommygrimm
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:58 PM
Heres the other problem . They say that they come down to see him and the kids .. ouch !!!! Not that I care because I dont like them that much anymore anyway . I know they are only doing this to irritate me because they know shes going to be there . I told them that a few weeks ago .
mandksmommy
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:59 PM
i would call them and say sorry but i already had plans for that weekend, you are going to have to come another weekend.

marilela
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:01 PM
first ask him to ask them if they can reschedule! if not then tell ur husband that u r not entertaining them, u r going to be spending time with ur friend so he needs to let his family know that! how rude biting ur tongue works both ways if they can't bite theirs why should u bite urs!

sparkle - http://www.sparklee.com

Preggoat18
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:02 PM

Quoting newmom03:

tell them not to come. or better yet. tell ur husband to do the dirty work cuz its his fault. i swear guys can be so stupid!!! stand up for urself. dont jus sit back and take it cuz it will NEVER get any better!

YES MAKE YOUR HUSBAND DO THE DIRTY WORK but also listen while hes on the phone so he doesnt blame you for everything...man have a way of doing that when they are in a tight corner and want to make everyone happy they think it will never get back to you...sometimes i wish i could have made this baby in my own
1sttme4evrytng
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:03 PM
Just tell them out right that you've got plans made for that week and they cant come down and reschedule them in another week or something.
But thats B.s  that they dont like you, I would tell them if yo dont like me then your not welcome in my home!  but anywayzz good luck on the dilema
marilela
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:04 PM
then y do u feel obligated to babysit them, hell now for sure, just don't care wut they do and ignore them, if they say anything just say oh u knew my friend was coming but u said u were coming for my husband anyway, he'll be home later on so u could spend time with him! they walk all over u b/c u allow it! hell no, my mil is on my sh*t list she and my husband r well aware of it!
Quoting Mommygrimm:

Heres the other problem . They say that they come down to see him and the kids .. ouch !!!! Not that I care because I dont like them that much anymore anyway . I know they are only doing this to irritate me because they know shes going to be there . I told them that a few weeks ago .

sparkle - http://www.sparklee.com

sweetcheeks4205
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:06 PM
I agree with everyone else- tell them you have company coming and that youd like them to wait to come... if it were me id have my husband do it! But if you have to just be nice about it and if they be rotten then its not your fault cause its not like you were rude ya know!!! whatever you do DONT let them walk all over you--- I know how that is, i think we could have the same In-laws!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)