Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No Motivation

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:10 PM
  • 5 Replies
I'm new here, but this is my main reason for coming so maybe someone can advise me on my 17 y/o. She'll be 18 in Dec., the thing is she has no job, no interest in getting one. She sits home all day sleeps, eats, and watchs tv. I've talked till I'm blue, and I've yelled and now I'm at a loss. She does half way decent in school, still going to have to take night school to finish on time. All she worries about is getting a car, she thinks is a miricle pill, life will all fall into place. She has no boyfriend only one friend she hangs out with. Just can't motivate her. Any ideas, please.
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
AidanTiarra
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:23 PM
Don't give her anything.  When she wants new clothes, she wants money to go out...tell her she needs to earn it.  My dad dies when I was 13, then my older brother disapeared when I was 14.  By the time I was 15 I had quit school, taken my GED and was working full time so that I could help my mom.  She didn't make me but I wanted to make things easier for her because she has been through so much in her life.  I have always worked and supported myself.  I make my kids work for what they want(most of the time).  My son and daughter are 1 and 2 but they have to put their toys away and they will get a treat.  My stepdaughter is 11 and she helps change diapers, wash dishes, etc to get money.  Also is it possible that she is depressed about something?  I have suffered from depresion and if you are depressed there is no future in your eyes, so why prepare for it?  I know these are probably pretty basic.

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Hastaluvme
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:25 PM
Try taking away any extra's you buy her, non necessity items, tell her she is going to either buy them herself or not get them. I have an almost 17 yr old, we bought her a car ($1000), she pays for gas, she is also very active in school, she is a 4.3 student, and plays volleyball. She babysits for money and that is fine with me. I would rather her do good in school and just babysit. Good luck.

cah75
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:25 PM
I agree, she needs to realize she is not a kid anymore and needs to provide for herself.   Perhaps telling her you are considering charging her rent once she is 18 and an adult will motivate her.   Does she plan on going to college? 
Tisha1115
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:32 PM
   Lat her see that thongs don't just "appear" by not getting anything for her unless you have to. She doesn't need anything except food, cloths, and a roof over her head. I had to use my allowance for what i needed. If she doesn't do the work she doesn't get the money. If she wants  a car or any other want she'll have to work.Heck ,if she wants to go out with friends she's gonna want money to shop with.

maybe that will work, it did for me. Of course with her being a senior she'll want to go to prom. she'll need a dress for prom. Set a ridiculously low limit on the price you'll pay and say if she wants better she'll have to fork up the rest.
sunshine456100
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:38 PM

I Have a 18yr old daughter. she does not do that good in school  either,she  has to go to summer school to get her diploma. she is working though.sarah likes having her own money. I would think your daughter would like her own money too. does she like going shopping?Does she seem unhappy or depressed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)