Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need a little advise

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 3:54 PM
  • 12 Replies
Ok here is the thing. I have 4 children ages 6 down to 13 months. Now my sister whom I love dearly is working a good job, making decent money is wanting me to watch her two children ages 4 and 9 months. Now normally I wouldn't mind watching them while she is at work but all that she is offering to pay me per day is $10.00 for both kids, now I don't know if that seems reasonable to you guys or not but I don't think that it is enough especially since I have to feed them both as well as use my daughters wipes for her youngest. I really don't want to tell her that I cant watch them but I'm struggling to pay my bills as it is. I just don't know what to tell her. I have tried to tell her her that I need more money at least 10 more a day but she seems to get upset when I bring it up. I have to take a lot of time and energy and rearrange my schedule to suffice hers so I don't know what to do. Any advise would be much appreciated. Thank you......
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Misty060306
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 3:59 PM

I agree with you.  I think $10/day is not enough.  Especially if you are feeding them, she isn't bringing you the food for them, and you are using your wipes...which to me is not that big of a deal but anyway....I would say like at least $15/day...she needs to look at it like this....
If she had to take the kids to day care she would be paying a hell of alot more than that....for 1 kid age almost 14 months, I pay $25/day and I supply the diapers and wipes.  Your sister is getting off damn cheap.  Good luck!

calaid
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 4:01 PM
I had a similar issue with my brother and sister in law....I watched my nephew the moment she went back to work after maternity leave until he was a little over 1...I charged them about $75 a week...Like you I worked around her schedule so that she wouldnt have to put him in daycare, but was also feeding him and diapering him.  I also used our wipes...I know it may not seem like a lot to your sister but maybe tell her something like this:

Hey sis I want to help you out...but I need you to pay more....and where else could you take them for this kind of money and this kind of  love and care? Stuff adds up....2 more mouths to feed is not in my budget. 

Maybe this will help....and if she gets mad you just need to tell her to get over it! Sorry it that sounds rude, but sometimes family take advantage of your kindness!  Good Luck to you.

http://carrierolin.fourpointmoms.com
aidan2905@yahoo.com

lisamarie805
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 4:03 PM
I know that this is a hard subject ~ we never want to say "no" to a family member when they ask something from us but sometimes we have to step back and think ~ is this the best thing for me.....If your sister is making good money than she shouldn't mind paying the extra $$ for you to watch her children.....she has to understand also that it is not easy to watch all those children and have the money come out of your pocket.....just sit with her and explain that she will have to come up with the extra $$ or she will have to bring their lunches and snacks as well as diapers and wipes......if she still doesn't get it ~ let her know that she will have to find someone else to watch them.  In the long run it is going to cost her more than you are asking for ~ she might say ok and give up the money......hope that this helps........
motherofaprince
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 4:04 PM
I don't think $20 is enough a day, especially since you feed them and use your daughters wipes on her youngest, plus get exhausted taking care of 2 more children.  Maybe you need to tell her you love her and love talking care of her kids and helping her out that way, but that you and her need to sit down and talk about the details, (ex: how much she pays you a day, if the cost of meals are included, if the cost of wipes are included) so that the 2 of you can come to an agreement on a good price for babysitting is.  Otherwise I'd say you might have to tell her you can't watch her kids anymore.  You don't want to feel like you are being taken advantage of. 
stephy-s
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 4:04 PM
My sister pays me $40 a day to watch my nephew and she supplies his diapers and wipes.  But she is the reason my hubby and I moved and got a bigger house payment.  But $10/day is not enough-- just think of the food and your time-- call around to day cares and see how much it would be for the child to go there and then use that and give a little discount-- you are doing her a favor but you need to take care of your self and your babies--
good luck

sher1959
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 4:05 PM

Hi there,   I have a teenage son  and I didn't have to go through this, but I do have some advise from what I have seen from others.

First,  you have your own 4 kids.  That is a HUGE job in itself.   If you really want to watch them, than I would suggest you ask her for more money a day.  If you figure it out your pay is about .70 cents an hour per child.  This is ridiculous.   She should pay you more.  The amount is up to you.  

Second,  If she has this great job and makes really good money,  why can't she put the kids in some kind of day care.   Taking care of 6 kids at that age is very difficult.  And could even be dangerous, in my opinion.  
If I were you I would sit down and have a serious talk with her and let her know how you really feel.   It just sounds like a huge commitment.
Wish you the best hope you can work something out....
Sheryl

AidanTiarra
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 4:06 PM
I give my mom $20 a day to watch my two youngest ages 1 and 2.  Plus I provide all diapers, wipes, breakfast, lunch, snacks, juice, milk, etc.  I bring her everything that they need.  Thats not to say she doesn't buy them happy meals now and then but I make sure the always have everything.  I know I am getting a good deal because even though she is my mom, $100 a week for two kids is really good.  Plus I have the security of knowing that they are with someone who loves them.  Just tell her that she will need to give you a more reasonable amount and don't watch them unless she does.

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

masastan
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 4:06 PM
In our family, we keep the kids for free...no matter how tight money is.  But, we supply everything the other needs, such as food, wipes, diapers, etc.  Now that our kids are older, my SIL usually brings over a pizza that will feed all the kids and I supply the snacks.  We also trade off other things because  I watch her one WAY more than she ever watches any four of mine individually or all together and it works for us.  If your sister knows of your financial situation, she's probably offering just the $10 a week because she thinks it will help and she probably thinks it should be free because you are her sister.  If you have to charge her, you need to charge her considerably more than that.  If she doesn't like it, she'll put her kids in daycare and you'll keep some of your sanity that comes with watching more kids on top of your own.  I have 4 and was keeping 3 more....  The mistake I made was not having my neighbor sign something stating that she'd pay me half of her kids weren't there for a week and I took her word for it and got screwed in the end as a result.  Sad to say, it can happen with family too.  So make sure your sister signs a letter with all the terms you come to agreement upon before you keep her kids.  A daycare does the same.  Good luck!  Oh, I charged $120 a week for one child all day and 2 after school.  Then I began having to drop off and pick up one of the kids from prek, so I added $40 to cover gas.  Although I only used about $15 a week in gas doing it, it was inconvienient for me. 
littletandme
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 4:12 PM
You're going to have your hands full with two more.  I think that $10 a day isn't enough.  I'm not sure what childcare costs where you live but maybe have her call a few places or people from the paper and get idea what she would be paying if it weren't for you.  We pay $3 which is a great deal.  When I was calling around last fall for home sitters in my area, I was getting quotes anywhere from 4-5 an hour or a set fee of $150-175 a week.  I'd look into this a bit more before agreeing to do this for her.
M31issa
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 4:15 PM
You have every right to ask more from your sister. Expecially seeing as how you could charge her what day care can cost. Plus if you do do it she needs to send all neccessary items including food to help take care of her kids. In the end the choice is yours and your sister will get over it.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)