Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When is it okay to start with cow milk...

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 4:35 PM
  • 12 Replies
i am wondering when it would be age apropiate to start with cow milk... any information would be great.

Karina

Proud Air Force Wife and

Loving Mother To Emily & Takoda

by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BargainQueen
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 4:37 PM

My kids were gradually started on whole milk on their first birthday.  I would mix 1/2 formula and 1/2 cows milk for about a week .

momlove06
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 4:38 PM

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

My sons doctor told me a year old. which he adjusted pretty good I would mix like 3 scoops of formula and 6 ounce of cows milk and gradually started putting more milk and less formula. I did that maybe for a week and a 1/2  and he did good with it. The nurse is the one who told me to gradually take him off of it. But I guess you could do either way but I felt like it was better cause it wasnt such a shock to him when it was just regular milk. I hope this helps.

M31issa
By the time they are a year old they should be completely on cows milk (whole). At about 10 months old add a little at a time to formula until they are a year old.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Codysmommy639

SHOULD BE AFTER A THERE FIRST BIRTHDAY. THATS WHAT I'M TOLD. BUT YOU REALLY WANT TO WAIT BECAUSE THEY MIGHT HAVE ALLERGIC REACTION TO IT IF STARTED TO EARLY

tgentosi
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 4:41 PM
My son's pediatrician said to take him off formula and put him on whole milk at 10 months. He did just fine. He was on table foods primarily at that point also.
bee1981
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 4:41 PM
My pediatrician stated 12 months for both of my children (ages almost 5 and 11 months). However, our son started having 1/2 formula & 1/2 milk since a couple weeks ago (11 months of age) and has been great with it. They say 12 months because their little digestive systems may not be ready to digest cows milk until one year of age.
I switched because our son drinks from sippy cup all day, only has bottle before nap and bed times. He will drink straight milk from sippy cup, but has to have it mixed for his nap and bedtime bubbas!
Hope that helps. ~Brandy~

charrliesue
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 4:42 PM
i started my kids about one yr :) i weened them slowly i also started the sippy cup then also

rember to alwas look on the bright side of life
bams
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 5:39 PM
It's best for baby to wait until 1yr old.

human binkie &  breastfeeding peer counselor

kimberly20
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 5:48 PM
I started my kids on cows milk when they were one also!
TigerMom2284
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 5:53 PM

I started my first Daughter Kaylyn on whole milk when she turned a year old but for my second daughter Brianna her doctor told me I could have started her out at 11 monthes but I waited until she was a year old just to be on the safe side. So to be safe I'd wait until their about a year old to start them on whole milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)