Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She is 5 going on 16!!! (posted in other groups)

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 4:58 PM
  • 8 Replies
Ok is anyone having this problem?  I swear since my daughter turned 5 which was last month she acts like she is a teenager! Her attitude is out of control!!  She gives smart comments and attitude when I ask her to do things! UGH!!! I am at my wits end because I feel like I am always yelling at her! I was curious if anyone has or is having this problem! if so how did you handle it because if she is like this now I am in trouble when she becomes a teenager!!! LOL Thanks ladies for letting me vent!
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 5:02 PM
I'm dealing with this problem too my daughter has got to the point where she was being yelled at and getting spankins for her mouth now she knows if i giver her "the look" she better watch it!!!

by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 5:07 PM
 My daughter just turned 6 in June, and yes she has the attitude!!! I just put her in a time out for a few minutes. Try that, she will not like the fact that she is by herself in a corner or somewhere. Tell her she has to stay in time out for 5 mins. or whatever you are comfortable with. If she gets out put her back in and add a min. to her timeout. Hope this helps!!
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 5:35 PM
my daughter is just like that. She is 5.5 and she thinks she is 25. We went to get school clothes the other night and she picked out every pair of daisy dukes and short skirts there where. Well her dad went with us and he said no to everything. She got so mad and yelled at him in the store. He looked at her and said ok lets go. He got her nothing and told her when her attitude gets better he will take her back.

by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 6:31 PM
I think I could've written the same thing,except my daughter just turned 7(yesterday)  & I'm always yelling. If u figure out how to correct this problem let me in on it. I've tried time-outs(she could care less).
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 6:39 PM
The best advice I can give is to take away their "currency" ie whatever is important to them. If they treasure an American girl doll ....put it away til they earn it back. If it happens in the store..leave the cart and leave..Arguing only feeds it. You are the one in charge not them. I cannot tell you the number of times I have walked out of a store in the past. Grnated my kids are older now but I still do it. I have put them on "Amish existence" meaning absolutely no electronics (cell, video, game boy, etc). I also entered my son in karate and they teach self control and if my ds gives attitude I tell him I will let his sensei handle it.  The big key is consistancy. No matter how much they kick and scream stick to your guns calmly . When you visit someones house point out the time out spot right away and tell them unacceptbale behavior will lead to time out and then leaving the play date. Good job trying to teach your child some rules. I work in a store where too many parents that come in don't
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 6:40 PM
I'm dealing with the same thing except my daughter is 4 and she's been acting that way since 3. I haven't really come up with a way to deal with it.I also feel like I'm constantly yelling at her too.When she talks back to me,I remind her she is only 4 and I am her mother and she doesn't talk to me like that.I put her in the corner or take the T.V. from her,She apologizes,but a couple hrs. later,it'll be the same thing again. So I'm having the same problem and I don't know what to do either.

by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 6:51 PM
I remember this problem...
My daughter had an attitude on her since she was 3! She still does!
What I found helped is if she ever talked back, I'd "ignore" her. Basically, I'd tell her to go do something, and she'd say something rude to me, and I would tell her, "I am not going to talk to you until you calm down." It worked within minutes becuase I'd sort of advoid her until she confronted me.
But, if I ever told her no, she'd throw a hissy fit. So, I'd say I don't care that you're pouting, or that you're mad at me but you still aren't doing this.
It usually works if you don't fight with them.  Hope it helps.

Mommy of my own litte Irish Mob!

Jack Lachlan~March 11, 1990
Logan Kennedy~March 11, 1990
Olivia Skylar~ July 28, 1991
Fallon Kane~September 11, 1992
Brody Quinn~December 1, 1993

Grandma of another mobster!
Connor Jackson Skylar Fallon Quinn Adan
Due~December 25th, 2007

by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 3:06 PM
thanks for all the feedback! its nice to know I am not alone! I always tell her that she is five and I am the grownup and that she needs to cut the attitude! We have taken the tv away and sent her to bed early it helps sometimes! She is so excited about kindergarten that I tell her they won't stand for the attitude there so she better cut it out now before she goes! that works sometimes too! UG!! seems like kids these days are growing up way too fast!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)