Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i have to go out of town... HELP

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 5:09 PM
  • 3 Replies
My current job requires me to go out of town for a week. My question is, if I leave my breastfed son, will he ever latch on again and breastfeed? He's never been supplemented and I know I'd have a supply of breastmilk when I'm gone, but I want him to continue to breastfeed. He'll be about 6 months when this trip is scheduled. Any advise?
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
chelli509
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 5:12 PM
I think that as long as you pump while you are gone to ensure your supply, you should be fine.  Get him a wide-based nipple for the bottles with a slow flow-mother's milk flows slower than bottles, and you don't want him to get lazy on a bottle nipple.  Then he may not be willing to nurse when you get back.  Also, leave a shirt with his caretaker that smells like you, and have them cuddle him with it near his face when they feed him so he can smell mommy.

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe
zoies_mommy
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 5:13 PM
He is 6 months so I don't think there would be any nipple confusion, but I'm not an exoert. You never know until you try. My daughter was on the bottle and the breast since she was born and never had any nipple confusion. All babies are different though. Good luck!
AidanTiarra
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 5:21 PM
This is what I did with both of my kids and it worked really well.  My son has never had problems.  My daughter will not take a bottle if at all possible but she eventually did.  Neither of them have ever had any problems breastfeeding.
Quoting chelli509:

I think that as long as you pump while you are gone to ensure your supply, you should be fine.  Get him a wide-based nipple for the bottles with a slow flow-mother's milk flows slower than bottles, and you don't want him to get lazy on a bottle nipple.  Then he may not be willing to nurse when you get back.  Also, leave a shirt with his caretaker that smells like you, and have them cuddle him with it near his face when they feed him so he can smell mommy.

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)