Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how should I transition to cups when he hates sippys cups?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 6:13 PM
  • 13 Replies
HI, My son is about to be a year old on August 18th and I appreciated the "when to introduce to cow's milk" post because I was actually wondering also.  Now that I know that, I have another question, my son is still drinking from the bottle because he really doesn't like the sippy cups we've tried with him.  He DOES like just regular cups without lids, but kinda makes a mess without a lid.  Any ideas on how to try to transition him?  I'm kind of tired of cleaning the bottles anyway, and we've tried a bunch of different kinds of sippy cups, but he just doesn't use them...I'm lost here :)  Thanks for any help!

by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 6:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Twinkie76
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 6:16 PM
I've tried all of them! My oldest likes the gerber ones and my twins drink from the nuby's with the straw. Its double insulated which is great. They would not drink milk from any other sippy. They drink their water from a regular playtex sippy. I know its a lot of sippys lol!

kohelgirls3
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 6:17 PM
Try the cups with straws.  They have character ones and plain ones.  My kids like them.  That is what we used after the sippy cup but before the cup with no lid.
NursingStudent
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 6:19 PM

In my experience with kids picky about sippy's Nuby's and Advent are the most often excepted.  Good luck!

Scrapping With Friends

MandySilver87
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 6:19 PM
my son started out with a cup at about 6 months and he hated them, too.  the nuby cups are really nice for transitioning because they have a soft spout - all your son would have to do is bite down to get milk out of it.  also, if you try a cup with small holes and no valve, that way he knows there's something in the cup that he wants.  start out giving him a cup one time a day and when he gets used to that, substitute it for a bottle twice a day.  my son took about 7 months to transition and after that he would still throw a fit if he saw a bottle and didn't get to drink it.  Now, he loves his sippy cups just as much as he loved the bottle.
sbouton
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 6:27 PM
i transitioned my children from th bottle to the cup with help from my pediatrician. He suggested that I add a little water to the bottle everytime I give it to them, since my children hated sippy cups also. After a few days they got used to the watered down milk/formula and I added more. I gave them the regular milk/juice in the sippy cup and they liked it alot better.  Slowly they took the sippy cups more and more.
ebgs123198
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 6:28 PM
I agree with the other moms.  Try ones with a straw.  I did that with my daughter and I had her stay at the table if she was going to drink from a straw.  If she wanted to leave the table with her drink she had to use a sippy cup or she had to leave the cup on the table.  She Liked that and I after a day ot two no more bottle.
DoriWA
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 6:28 PM

Quoting Twinkie76:

I've tried all of them! My oldest likes the gerber ones and my twins drink from the nuby's with the straw. Its double insulated which is great. They would not drink milk from any other sippy. They drink their water from a regular playtex sippy. I know its a lot of sippys lol!

My son loves those still and he is 5 years old!...lol

You can find me at MySpace by clicking here!

familygal
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 6:35 PM
try the kind that they don't have to work so hard to suck, the straw cups may work....also if he still refuses go to www.onestepahead.com they have a cup that they can't spill over. They have great things I have order some stuff and loved everything I got. Good Luck!
awburns
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 6:56 PM
Thanks so much for the ideas, I'm going to run out and get some of the ones you all suggested and give them a shot.  He's not picky about anything else, so hopefully at least ONE of them will fit his preferences :)

Twinkie76
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 7:00 PM
If you are getting the nuby make sure its the double insulated one, i have heard the other ones leak real bad. Good Luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)