Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some Advice

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 8:34 PM
  • 5 Replies
Hello everyone. I am kinda still new to Cafemom. I was hoping there was a Mother out there that could give me some advice. I posted a comment earlier about needing some frineds, and now I need some advice on what to do with my 5 year old son. I am having two problem's with him right now. The first is he still won't sleep in his room alone. I have tried some advice that other Mother's have given me on here and they worked for one night and that was all. I am at a stand still and don't know what to do. He has his own room, and everything he just won't sleep in there. He has 2 night's lights in his room, and that still isn't working. The other problem I am having is trying to get him to go and poop in the toliet instead of in his underwear. He KNOWS when he has to go, but he's busy playing, and just doesn't want to STOP to go to the bathroom. He is fixing to start School in August, and I WOULD love for him to be able to go to the restroom at school without his classmates making fun of him for pooping in his pants. If any Mother's ahve any advice I would really appreciate it.
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
shacova4
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 8:43 PM
Hello Katina, I am having the same problem with my 3 yr old daughter, she still sleeps in the bed with me and her daddy. She is a daddies girl all the way!!
So I really can't give you any advice about that, I need help too, (laughing). But the situation about your son, having accidents in his pants, well with my daughter, it took us 1 month to get her use to panties. When she went outside to play, Every 15 to 20 minutes, we would make her come in the house to use the bathroom."Granted, she would get upset, and say, "I don't have to potty", but we would make her at least sit on it. At night, we would not give her any thing to drink 1hour before she goes to bed, and sometimes wake her up to potty, if we did slip up and she drunk something right before going to bed. So, I hope this works for you, it worked for us, now we just have the problem getting her out of our bed!!!!!God Bless......
s_brice1
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 8:50 PM

I don't have advice for the mother with the 5 yr old.  But for you on the 3 yr old child.. I was a daddies little girl. My mother told my father it was me or her. Well I was booted out of the bed but slept on the floor on palate. however you spell that. Maybe that will help. For the young man who is not going to the restroom try telling him that if he has to do that at school the other children will make fun of you and want be your friend.   good luck

Motherto3758
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 8:50 PM
Katina,
It sounds as though your son is starting to fear going to school.
Could be the reason for needing re assurance.
Is there a way you might visit the school before the first day just so he feels  a little more secure?
Hope things work out for you and your Son i know it is rough , i thought sending my son to pre school would help but he was still a little aprehensive on the first day of school entering the first grade.

Barbara
devilicious
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 8:52 PM
the sleeping problem is actually a pretty easy one.sit in his room with him while hes in bed and you on the floor, put your head down on your lap and ignore him compleatly,if he gets outa bed then put him back and set back down with your head down.dont talk to him or anything.it might not seem like its working at first but eventually he will get tired and fall asleep.the pooping in the toilet...oh boy,we just finally got over that with my daughter. i found something she REALLY loves and threw it in the trash when she pooped in her underwear, i told her if your going to be a baby then this goes in the trash and you cant have it untill you poop in the toilet. well THAT NIGHT she pooped in the toilet LOL....who'da knew.it seems mean but some times you gota be a "mean mom"! good luck!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
LadyGemini72
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 9:30 PM
First for the sleeping arrangements...I had the same problem with my daughter.  We used to have knock down drag out fights at night.  I used to lay in her bed with her until she went to sleep.  I tried different friends advice too.  Slip further and further away every night until you are out of the room was the most given.  But once my daughter turned 5, I felt she was old enough to have a chat with.  So I told her, that I would read her one book and sing her two songs every night, and then I would leave the room.  Once I left the room, the rules were that she had to keep the light off and she could not get out of bed, but she could play in her bed.  She didn't need to go to sleep, just rest her body with the light off.  It was amazing!!!!  We have had wonderful, enjoyable nights ever since.  I think it was the fact that I gave her the choice of what to do, but with boundaries that I could live with.  Good luck!!!  Bed time was always hated here before too.

Now for the pooping in the pants thing, you may want to check out a condition called Encopresis.  In short, it is chronic constipation, treated with daily doses of laxatives.  My daughter was having problems with frequent urine accidents.  My doctor didn't find anything physically wrong.  I brought her to Childen's Hospital Incontinence center in Boston.  I never suspected constipation because she had a BM every day.  The most common symptom is B accidents.  It may just be a control issue, but I would check it out first.  Good luck with this too!

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions at all.

The Love between a mother and child...There is no greater Love!

Gina

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)