Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Splenda/Sugar Kool-Aid and 6 yr old????

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 9:39 AM
  • 28 Replies

Good Morning everyone! I have a question. My husband buys Kool-Aid because it is cheaper. But my son was bouncing after a couple glasses of it. I don't want him drinking it right now.

I thought Splenda and Crystal Light were diet drinks...meaning No Calories. That would mean it has nothing to do with sugar content right? I mean, if I wantd a drink that wasn't so high in sugar, would I be better off buying frozen juice?

by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Addiemom
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 9:42 AM

You can make KoolAid with splenda and it doesn't have the calories but is still made from sugar. I don't know the hyperactivity that it causes.

Crystal Light is made from aspartame I believe. It is not sugar and doesn't have the calories.

My son is very hyper and we cut out sugar drinks and also the drinks with any type of dye in them. So far it is helping great!

mrsgibbs
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 9:42 AM

splenda is sugar..how can something be made from sugar  but NOT be sugar..lol..and experts say the 'non sugar' subsitutes are worse than the real thing...my kids love koolaid...I don't put a whole lot of sugar in it and its still the bomb...

PRAYER CHANGES THINGS HOMIEDIDN'CHA KNOWObama and BidenGod Bless You

For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.  Proverbs 8:11

trish33990
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 9:43 AM

calories and sugar have nothing to do with each other.

Jademom07
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 9:43 AM

DD if given kool-aide, gets it w/o any sweetener.  I have heard that the substitute sweeteners shouldn't be given to children (but I don't know where I heard it).

twiggie1968
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 9:45 AM

I mix apple juice with koolaid, and only use 1/2 cup of sugar or less. My sons are hyper enough without all the added sugar, yet all the sweetner substitutes make me nervous...they have side effects, rather just use less of the real stuff.

hugsTwiggie

misspixie67
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2008 at 9:45 AM

I use koolaid too, only I dont put the amount of sugar your supposed to, just a little less. Were they drinking RED koolaid? If so it could be the red dye #40 it causes hyperness, I dont let mine drink anything red!

reelo
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Splenda is "sugar- free" but it is made from sugar, aspartamane is also sugar calorie free.  Both of those as well as the food dyes in things like kool-aid and crystal light have been linked to hyperactivity in kids as well.  Its not just sugar you have to be careful of.  Juice is definately better, you can always water it down with a little sparkling water-- kids love that or just plain water to make it last longer.

guam_mama
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 9:47 AM

We get these for our kids and they are pretty good...plus they don't stain if they spill it:

http://brands.kraftfoods.com/caprisun/1_2_Roarin_Waters.html

lilmama59329
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 9:47 AM

i dont know how true this is, but i heard you shouldnt give kids those sugar free drinks because they have something in them that the youngens shouldnt have. i dont know and it probablys not true but just to throw that out there. but you can always make the kool aid with alot less sugar than you normally do... water it down a little.. and only allow your child to have a glass or two a day.. just a suggestion

so.this.is.love
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 9:48 AM

it could be the dyes in the drink powder.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN