Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Splenda/Sugar Kool-Aid and 6 yr old????

Posted by   + Show Post

Good Morning everyone! I have a question. My husband buys Kool-Aid because it is cheaper. But my son was bouncing after a couple glasses of it. I don't want him drinking it right now.

I thought Splenda and Crystal Light were diet drinks...meaning No Calories. That would mean it has nothing to do with sugar content right? I mean, if I wantd a drink that wasn't so high in sugar, would I be better off buying frozen juice?

by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 9:39 AM
Replies (21-28):
mrsgibbs
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 10:48 AM

don't say never..what if he goes to his father's or somewhere and they give him a drink of koolaid...lol..i said my kids would never drink pops....that didn't last long @ all. b/c granny keeps more than i do..

Quoting shamillionaire:

My chid is 5 and has yet to have Cool Aid. He never will drink any of that kind of crap, only 100% juice!

PRAYER CHANGES THINGS HOMIEDIDN'CHA KNOWObama and BidenGod Bless You

For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.  Proverbs 8:11

Sadie85
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Quoting trish33990:

calories and sugar have nothing to do with each other.

Uh, sugar has calories. Non-sugar sweeteners do not.

LingLing-MyStory      HomeschoolingJournals

Ready to ditch your excuses for being overweight??

Ft.Stewart_wife
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Yup i love them they are great. And its cheaper because your not buying sugar too. It comes in a  bunch of flavors. I just get the invisible kind because i cannot find a leak proof sippy cup for anything. My son loves it. And i can drink it and know its not fattening!!

Quoting HeyM0mxTwo:

I didn't know they made sugar free KoolAid! I will lhave to take a look!

Quoting Ft.Stewart_wife:

I buy the sugar free koolaide in the little tub things....my son cant drink juice because it makes his poopy like really high in acid or something and it makes him get a rash when he poopies like as soon as it happens. and he hates water...every time i do it he throws his cup back at me and says gross. So i but the invisible cherry flavored sugar free Koolaide...and he does great with it. and he doesnt stain everything because its clear!!

chopped headtrick or treat

Autumn22
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 3:40 PM

You should definitely get your kid some juice.  Why would you want to give him artificial junk? 

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
SquishyMommyof2
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Splenda is nasty stuff.  Anything is better then splenda (even real sugar)

Alyssa

Unschooling,cloth-diapering, non-vaxing, homebirthing, super crunchy mom to Landen, Gage and Seven

"When most people seem happy with their circumstances, the discontent of a minority can easily be dismissed. The history of the world shows the vast majority, in every generation, passively accept the conditions into which they are born, while those who demand larger liberties are ever a small, ostracized minority, whose claims are ridiculed and ignored." - Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History

Seven's Birth

MySpaceMomof3
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 3:41 PM

I always buy the sugar free Kool Aid. I think it tastes like reg Kool Aid that has the perfect amount of sugar in it. My kids have never seemed to know the difference at all.

SquishyMommyof2
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Splenda is closer to chlorine then it is to sugar (in fact only 1 molecule separates chlorine and splenda)

Quoting Addiemom:

You can make KoolAid with splenda and it doesn't have the calories but is still made from sugar. I don't know the hyperactivity that it causes.

Crystal Light is made from aspartame I believe. It is not sugar and doesn't have the calories.

My son is very hyper and we cut out sugar drinks and also the drinks with any type of dye in them. So far it is helping great!

Alyssa

Unschooling,cloth-diapering, non-vaxing, homebirthing, super crunchy mom to Landen, Gage and Seven

"When most people seem happy with their circumstances, the discontent of a minority can easily be dismissed. The history of the world shows the vast majority, in every generation, passively accept the conditions into which they are born, while those who demand larger liberties are ever a small, ostracized minority, whose claims are ridiculed and ignored." - Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History

Seven's Birth

Fairlight79
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 3:47 PM

thats what I was told,anything red makes kids hyper,not sure yet for myself LOL.We drink nothing but tea

Quoting misspixie67:

I use koolaid too, only I dont put the amount of sugar your supposed to, just a little less. Were they drinking RED koolaid? If so it could be the red dye #40 it causes hyperness, I dont let mine drink anything red!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN