Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you celebrate your kids' b-days?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:04 AM
  • 11 Replies
We start off by putting balloons all over their room and all over the rest of the house after they fall asleep the night before. The first thing they always want to do after waking up is open the presents, of course, which we let them do. Then the b-day girl gets to play queen for the day. Which basically means they get to pick all the meals that day, what we do all day (w/in reason!) etc. What are some inexpensive ways that you celebrate?
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iluvcallalilies
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 8:46 AM
We have a small at home party with the number of guests equal to child's age (not in a day care, etc... so it's easy for us to do without excluding people).

That night I have a family party for grandparents, etc. (we don't have cousins in town for kids)... I'm fixing her favorite foods and plan to continue that. It happens that this year that means toddler foods.

I do all the cooking and decorating myself and watch clearance and dollar stores closely to keep it cheap.

faye521
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:19 AM
For their 1st birthday it was just the immediate family; mom, dad, b-day child, sibling, grandparents...
For their 2nd birthday we had the immediate family and a few kids from their play groups and daddy's work...
As for decorations, etc...
Once they turn 5 yrs old I have them pick a theme, out of a choice of 3 that I've narrowed it down to beforehand, at least 6 months before their birthday... Then, I start buying party stuff to put in the party box... Plates one shopping trip, napkins the next... Party favors spread out over a few months... Decorations as I find what I like... I also create all the games myself and design the cake...  For example... One year Alex had a Scooby Doo party... I took a refrigerator box from the local furniture store and drew the Mystery Machine on it... I then painted it t match the actual Mystery Machine and used a clear sealant so it wouldn't run if it rained... They back doors of the 'van' actually opened and that is where they put their presents... One of the games was a dog bone roll where they had to push dog bones through an obstacle course with their noses... OK, they were 5 and thought it was a hoot!
When Alex was in 3rd grade he wanted Sponge Bob Squarepants... I turned the student annex at church into Bikini Bottom... Hung streamers, millions of streamers if you ask my hubby, from the ceiling... Used furniture boxes and made Squidward's home, Sponge Bob's home and Patrick's rock... Made the Krusty Krab and made cut outs of all the important characters... Sponge Bob, Sandy, Patrick, Squidward and Mr. Krabs... 
I have found that by starting 6 months in advance I can do so much more because I'm not pressed to spend a lot of money at once...
When the b-day child wakes up we have a Birthday Tree and they follow 'presents' (just like they follow bunny tracks to the same tree but now called the Easter Tree) to their birthday presents...  I make pancakes in character shapes and  send them on their way.... *lol* For Alex, who will be 12 this September, it's off to school... For Phoebe, who will only be 3 this November, it will be off to school too since they are both Fall babies...

Faye
Ecclesiastes 3:1-9
Have you met my best friend Coffee?

momof337
by Stephanie on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:25 AM

Decorate with signs, balloons, streamers. We have a small party. Soda, party mix, then cake and ice scream. Presents, cards.
JamJerKai
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:29 AM
On Kai b-day, I normally take him out to get his picture taken at Wal-mart. We stop by a balloon shop to get the b-day boy a balloon and then we go for ice cream. The party is usually not until that following Sat. On his B-day and at his B-day party Kai is King for the Day. He gets to do whatever he wants to do within reason of our time and money.:D
brandonlauren
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:32 AM

Im always somehow having their parties either before their actual bday or right after so usually right on their bday, me, hubby and sibling will take him or her to their fave restaurant to eat and then to a toy store to pick out a toy.. Thats our special way of celebrating for just us.. They usually have their party at the park, well my sons bday is in the middle of january so we usually go to my moms or sisters house for his.. I just discovered an indoor pool at a local college I might see of getting for brandons bday.. How neat would it be to swim in the wintertime, hehe..

cingirl
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:34 AM
I love their birthday morning. I bake a cake the night before, and in the morning we wake up the birthday boy with the cake and a song that my husbands family has sang to their children for generations now.
"Today is a birthdy we wonder for who, we know it's for somebody right in this room, we look all around and who do we see happy and smiling my goodness it's (child's name).
 Happy birthday (childs name)from all of us to you, happy birthday (child's name) may all of your good dreams come true.  We congratulate you and hope good luck follows you. Happy birthday (child's name) may all of your good dreams come true."
Then they are in charge of what we eat and do that day (within reason). 
ps.
We sang that song to them the day they were born to. Almost makes me cry when we sing it.

ycymom
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:50 AM
The night before, I make sure the cards & presents are ready.  Then I hang up balloons on the chair.  In the morning, we have mini cupcakes & the birthday child opens cards & presents.  They are still young & have parties in school, not at home.
pamomof2boys
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:56 AM
We started a Birthday Tradition a few years ago, the Birthday person get's to pick where we eat dinner the night of their birthday. It's my husband, 2 boys and myself. Last year my oldest picked Chick-fila and he talked his little brother into picking Red Lobster. The boys birthdays are two weeks apart so we have a family party at the house for both of them on one of the weekends around their birthdays. Their birthdays are also both in the summer so there are no school parties.
ghfreak
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 10:10 AM

for their first bday its a huge party.my first born we had 50 people and catered eberything.we had barney come and sing songs with the kids.my second son we had 75 people with pony rides a petting zoo.all catered again.for his second bday we had an elmo party and the favors were goldfish in their own bowl.elmo had his dorothy and now so did all the kids.i love throwing them bday parties!!!

BargainQueen
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 10:32 AM
We have family parties until4th Birthday where grandparents and cousings come over.  Starting at age 5 they get a party with friends and another for family.  This year our family reunion is on the day my youngest turns 5.  I really want her to feel special so I am taking her to the nails salon to have her toes and nails painted.    
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)