Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Self Soothing OR Ear Infection?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:26 AM
  • 8 Replies
I can't figure out if my 7 mo old baby is just into the habit of kinda pulling and folding his R ear or if he is in fact having an ear ache!!! He started doing this lately and will just out of the blue grab his ear and "play" for a few minutes and when he is falling asleep he is grabbing at his ear too. He doesnt seem to be in Pain when he is sucking on his bottle or paci which is when I thought I would notice some reaction if it was an earache. Am I just worrying over nothing. He isnt doing more fussing than normal due to teething. Well Moms I woul dlike to hear your thoughts? I think I will call ped's office and see what they say. Im just afraid to just brush this off!?! Please HELP-- Thank You in advance.
 (I will be posting in other groups as well)
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
1963mom
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:32 AM
It is hard to tell an earache from discovery. Once babies discover their hands and their feet and their ears they tend to play with them. I remember taking one of mine to the doctor and he said there was no infection the baby had just discovered their ears and was playing with it. If he gets fussy I wouldnt take any chances and go to the doctor, They say an earache is one of the most painful things so most likely there would be some fussyness.
BabyBoyIskra
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:48 AM
Thanks for the advice!
tweetz
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 10:05 AM

If he is fussing or running a fever then he needs to see the doctor. 

ceciliam
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 10:08 AM
Many times baby;s paly with their ears when they are teething. My son is 19 months and he always played with his ears and still does sometimes but he has never had an ear infection. So that's something else to consider.

Fake n Fancy Diaper Cakes
pedsnrs
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:05 AM
Since it doesn't bother him when he is sucking his passy or eating, chances are it is not an infection.  Do watch for fever or any drainage from his ear.  Good choice to call the doc.  Never hurts to ask.
monkeyrhea
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:31 AM
My son has walked around for about the last 5 months with his thumb stuck in his ear.  He looks hilarious to me :)  Even though everyone that sees him insists that I take him to the doc he has never had an ear infection.  He gets a lot of ear wax built up and his doc said that it probably just tickles him.  I don't know that I would be too concerned if he doesn't seem to be in any pain.
zoies_mommy
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:33 AM
My daughter does this when she is tired too. I think it is a self shoothing thing becasue she has been doing this for awhile and she has never had an ear infection(knock on wood).
BabyBoyIskra
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:51 AM
Thanks Ladies. I think I will just keep an eye on him..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)