Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby Powder

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:12 AM
  • 14 Replies
I get weekly updates from Babycenter.com on how my baby should be progressing at the age he is, and I read an article on there that said that baby powder can be dangerous.  I guess if the child breathes in the fumes they could get sick.  If you use baby powder it says to use the one with cornstarch in it, that is safe if they were to breathe in the fumes.  I didn't know that, I never would have thought that would be a problem either.  Food for thought, just thought I would share. 

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
got1n1onthaway
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:13 AM
Yeah, there are types of powed that still have traces of lead in them... Amazing huh?

* Dana *

baby development

pregnancy

VONNY614
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:15 AM
THANK YOU FOR THE THOUGHT, WHAT I DO IS SPRINKLE THE BABY POWDER ON THE DIAPER INSTEAD OF ON MY SON.
martat
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:16 AM
I use the huggies liquid powder.
MaterAmor
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:19 AM
Instead of wasting your money on baby powder just buy cornstarch, it absorbs alot better than babypowder with Talc. I heard Talc is cancer causing.. and talc doesnt really absorb it just stays on the skin.. when i use powder w/ talc It stings me.
ceciliam
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:20 AM
Baby Powder has talc in it which can coat the lungs so it is bad.

Fake n Fancy Diaper Cakes
BabyMade3
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:23 AM
Most baby powder is made with cornstarch now... at least I haven't seen any at the store that weren't.

I put a little on my son's tush after his bath but thats it. I believe the real danger lies in if the baby gets a hold of the baby powder and plays with it leading them to inhale a lot of the powder.
pedsnrs
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:41 AM

Quoting MaterAmor:

Instead of wasting your money on baby powder just buy cornstarch, it absorbs alot better than babypowder with Talc. I heard Talc is cancer causing.. and talc doesnt really absorb it just stays on the skin.. when i use powder w/ talc It stings me.
Cornstarch is great to use but use it sparingly.  I gave my daughter a topical yeast infection from using too much cornstarch on a diaper rash.

miata
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:25 PM
never used it....just used A & D for their little privates..NEVER had diaper rash....now my youngest is 10 and LOVES baby powder...takes a bath in it....can't be good.
MakailasMom
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:29 PM
When I had Makaila the hospital said to not use it at all. So I don't. When she broke out in a rash I used coritzone cream on her, pediatrician recommended. I always let her air dry after a bath too, I'm sure she'll pee/poo on the bed sooner or later, but that's what my matress pad is for.lol.  They said it could cause lung issues later in life and the WHOLE thing that talked me into breastfeeding was that she might not get my asthma.

Life's too short to not stop and smell the roses. I thank God everyday I have with my princess and I make sure I don't take anything for granted.
LuvMyChloe
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:35 PM
My doctor said stay away from baby powder.  She said it can pose a choking hazard and that it's not proven to work very well as a moisture barrier.  Just use diaper rash cream if you need to.  I've used Butt Paste on Chloe's neck folds before.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)