Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Let's Talk About...

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 9:16 AM
  • 10 Replies

Lice!

Don't leave!  lol   I know it's not a pleasant subject, nor is it controversial (I don't think) but I could use some help.  If you know anything....please, please, please help!

We found some nits in my oldest daughter's hair on Tuesday and some nits and one nymph on my middle daughter.  We did the shampoo treatment and then picked out all the remaining nits.  I didn't find any dead adults on my middle girl but found three on my oldest.  (We also vacuumed all the furniture and washed everything.)

Yesterday we found about five nits on both of them but they found a few more on my oldest daughter at school and they thought they found a live one.

So my question is, is that normal to find a live one after using the shampoo?  How long are we going to keep finding nits?  The shampoo says to repeat treatment after 7-10 days but can we do it sooner?  Also, when can they go back to school?  The school said we could send my oldest back after her treatment but I kept her home today since they thought they saw a live one.

I bought some tea tree oil shampoo from California Baby that's supposed to control lice.  It's an every day shampoo that you can use whether you have lice or not so we used that yesterday and will keep using it.  I thought that might help so they don't get any new ones plus I can use it on my one year old.  I also ordered a spray on, leave-in conditioner that's supposed to keep you from getting lice.  I thought that would help with not getting any new ones.

This is such a pain.  I just want to make sure I am doing everything I can to get rid of them and so they don't come back.

Please help!!!!!

by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hnwyman
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 9:19 AM

Thankfully I have not had to deal with lice with my son yet, but I remember when I was in 3rd or 4th grade and I had it and I remember being treated twice (but about a week apart).  But, the other day I saw a commercial for Lice MD (or something like that) and it said you can reuse it as much as necessary and you don't have to wait a week.  Maybe look into that.  Good luck!

mrsmoore02
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 9:20 AM

I haven't had to deal with lice (yet) so I don't know what to tell you.  I will give this a bump though :-)

melisa123
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 9:21 AM
i know how you feel....ive been dealing with lice for a while now....i got a script from the doctor for us...you have to leave it on for about 8hrs...but if there are any live bugs they are dead in about 5 minutes...and i do everything else im suppose to do....vaccuum, wash everything....etc...but it seems to always come back for some reason....and im sick of it...i cant get our hair cut or anything...you could look on some websites and get some info...good luck
kp_bj_mom

Mayonaise suffocates them, and vinegar disolves the nits. I know it sounds unpleasant, but you put it on and then put a shower cap over it for an hour then rinse. You can shampoo right after with your regular shampoo to get rid of the smell. Don't use mayo if they have an egg allergy though, even though they aren't ingesting it, it still gets absorbed a little bit.

2boysMoma

We've never had it here, but a friend just had it with her kids and they were kicked out of school for 8 days because they had it so bad.

They had to bleach all their clothes, sheets, comforters, pillows, etc... and they had to spray the mattresses and couches and if i remember correctly they had to bomb the house too.

This small town, religion clinging, gun toting AMERICAN is voting for McCAIN and PALIN 08!

i.luv.being.mom

Get RID from CVS! My sister had lice and used this stuff... no one else in the family got it.

Wash her bed sheets every morning and hope they go away soon!

cjsmom0206
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 9:24 AM

Yes you can do it sooner.  I've studied pediculosis and you want to do a treatment every few days.  Thats when the eggs hatch.  The shampoo is mainly going to work on the live ones, so repeat treatments are essential....also, lice reproduce quicker than rabbits, so go for the extra treatments.

honey5
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 9:24 AM

about a year ago my dds had them, from what my doc says it takes 4 weeks to get rid of them completely. good luck

dastle
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 9:28 AM

I luckily haven't had to deal with lice yet, but I do know that when my SO's son had them from school they did use the lice MD ( I think that's what it's called, someone already said it) they had to do 2 treatments, but it did work. His mom took everything out of his room and washed everything in hot water.  I know it worked for them, but I can't tell you anything else.

ceciliam
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 9:30 AM

Lice can get everywhere! If your children have long hair, you may want to do the treatment twice. You also need to wash all their bedding in hot water and get rid of thier pillows. Put any stuffed animals thye play with regularly in a plastic bag and put outside for a couple of weeks or throw them away:0(

I am a hairstylist by trade and sometimes parents would try and sneak their children in for haircuts even though they had lice. Luckily as hairstylists, we know to check every head of hair before cutting. In an instance that we would get someone in our chair with lice, we would have to throw a way everything that would have touched this person from capes to towels. We would then have to literally disinfect our whole station because you never know where the lice could end up.

So pretty much you just need to disinfect all your linens in the house that your children have come in contact with....otherwise you are most likely going to keep having recurrences.

Hope this helps:0)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)