Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DINNER HELP!!!!

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:21 PM
  • 13 Replies
Okay my kids are 9, 6, and 3 and they eat nothing but chicken and fries and kid cuisine and pizza.. dont get me wrong i try and make good stuff for dinners but they just wont touch it!!  Im getting so frustrated any suggestions on ways i can get them to try new things and maybe any recipe ideas... any advice would be GREATLY appreciated...       Kassi
Ps  doesnt help that their dad is just as picky..lol
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bonnie621
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:23 PM
I'm not good with creative recipes, but we let our 2 1/2 year old son put ketchup or barbeque sauce on anything as long as he will eat it.  He LOVES to dip his food.
krazzysunshine
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:32 PM
thanks for the suggestion..ill try that :)
Mrussell0506
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:35 PM
My kids would eat frozen and canned foods all day, every day if they had a choice. But I've recently discovered that they love my MIL's Goulash recipe. My 3 yr old is especially difficult at dinner time, but she will chow down whenever I make this. Message me if you would like the recipe!

tiggersmile
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:39 PM
I was the same way when I was kid.. well, I would eat more than just chicken, but I was extremely picky.

My mom made me this hamburger pie thing.  It was hamburger meat, mashed potatoes or fries or tator tots, and cheese.  Then you just layer everything in a caserole dish, and heat in the oven.. but of course, brown the meat first..

Also, just put cheese on anything and most kids eat it.  And, get them to help in the meal, and they will feel like they cooked it themselves. 
mother2tifkay
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:43 PM
 My five year old is very picky. She doesn't eat any red meat. I have some good recipies for homeade chicken pot pie and homeade chicken and dumplings if you want them. She loves them and they are very easy...They have to be easy for me because I am in school full time and work full time. She also loves my chicken and yellow rice... Let me know if you are interested....
krazzysunshine
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys they are greatly appreciated
heatherdm
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:47 PM
Maybe try making the finger foods they like so it is healther and not processed and if they like it in the tray frozen food comes in, buy the plates that look like that.  My kids loved chicken nuggets too, so i would just make them and in different ways, i use bread crumbs, corn flakes, or just flour as the crust. I also bake them.  Home made mac n cheese is a big one for them also. What about little pizzas made from english muffins, spag sauce, cheese, and then whatever toppings you want.
TySeansmommy
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:47 PM
not sure if you're a Rachel Ray fan but she had a few ideas... like taking something they like and mixing in new foods.  She also suggests letting them help making dinner...

My son is going through a phase too (he's only 21 months) but what i've done is continually give him different foods to try... I've also mixed veggies into mashed potatoes and make casserols with things I know he likes in it and add other things.

My niece and nephew ate only chicken nuggets and French fries from the time they could chew until they were 4!!!!!  When they would come to our house we'd make other food and they'd eat a few bites... but a few bites is better than resorting back to the other foods.

Good luck
iluvmykids22
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:52 PM
Two words..... melted cheese and ketchup!  My lil girl loves chicken so in order to get her to eat different meats my fiance and I will eat it first to show them that it's good.  U might want to talk ur husband into trying new foods b/c kids imitate what they see.  They could be trying to copy how he eats!

"A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie." -- Tenneva Jordan

PrincessNess
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:53 PM

I've heard that it also works to let your kids help you prepare dinner. I know that sounds crazy with a 9,6, and 3 year old, but even something as easy as washing the vegetables or even helping to serve the food when it's ready may get them to eat it.

Also, maybe you can have them choose between 2 things they would rather have for dinner before you start making anything. One night it could be hot dogs with beans or they can have spaghetti with meat sauce.

I hope this helped.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)