Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Inappropriate? Please read message before voting.

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:22 PM
  • 28 Replies

Poll

Question: Would it bother you to know that your son/daughter is sharing a bathroom with children of the opposite sex?

Options:

Yes, very much.

No, as long as they're being watched it's fine

Not at all.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 192

View Results

I have two daughters, both of whom attend the same day care. My oldest is 8 and has been there since she was 1 1/2. My youngest is currently 1 1/2 and has been there since she was 8 weeks. Generally I am pretty happy with this center.
Recently, another mom got EXTREMELY upset about something that the center has always done, and it got me wondering...how many people feel this way? Here's her issue: childre between the ages of 2 and 3 1/2 share one bathroom, which has 2 stalls. The children are sent to the bathroom as needed and a teacher stands at the door while kids are in there.The staff will send boys and girls in at the same time, but never more than 2, as there are only 2 stalls. This mom was extremely upset that her daughter as using the bathroom at the same time as little boys.
This has never bothered me. In fact, I never even thought about it. Thoughts? Opinions?
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redneckcamobabe
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:24 PM
i am going to be a new mom in nov. so i really would not know but as long as they don't see each other then it's fine but if it's open then no..

~+*.MoThEr NoV 3.*+~

~+*!CuPcAkE!*+~                 

ColinsMommy07
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:25 PM
I don't really see what the big deal is here. I mean sure the boys and girls are going into the same bathroom but they are going into 2 seperate stalls! It's not like the little boy is using a urinal and the little girl is sitting on a toilet in a wide open room. They still have their privacy and they're also being supervised. I see nothing wrong with how they are running the "potty patrol"! :)
TySeansmommy
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:26 PM
I worked in a day care where each room had 1 bathroom with 1 stall, but even with 2 stalls we were pretty good about making sure all the girls went to the bathroom together and the boys went together for the older kids (if it was an emergency all rooms were connected with an adjacent door so we'd share pottys.

As far as young ages kids are naturally curious and they seem to tell us more than we expect them to know:)  We always had a teacher there at the bathroom as a precaution...

It doesn't bother me at all...
babykoala
at that age, I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with it. I would be upset if children any older were sharing the same bathroom.. but not only are they only like two years old but they are being supervised. 
I wouldn't get upset if my two year old son saw me change my six month old daughters diaper.
I don't have children of those ages, I'm just being hypothetical (sp?)

maybe I'm wrong, I don't know, but I just wouldn't have put much thought in to it.

MomOfNaeNKayla
as long as the kids are the same age and one of the staff members are watching . i dont think its a big deal. what would be a big deal if there was a huge age difference.
miata
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:29 PM
little girls by age 4 are very well aware of privacy and if they don't have brothers they can be very disturbed by sharing a bathroom at this age....between 2 and 3 is not really an issue as they are used to being together as a group.  Perhaps the mom at your center who was so upset doesn't have boys and didn't grow up with brother(s)!
BethKratwell
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Quoting babykoala:

at that age, I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with it. I would be upset if children any older were sharing the same bathroom.. but not only are they only like two years old but they are being supervised.
I wouldn't get upset if my two year old son saw me change my six month old daughters diaper.
I don't have children of those ages, I'm just being hypothetical (sp?)

maybe I'm wrong, I don't know, but I just wouldn't have put much thought in to it.

totally agree. its not like the 8 year old boys are going with the 3 year old girls

tiggersmile
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:31 PM
This would not bother me.  I have not had any kids, but have been a foster mom, and it would not bother me until the kids got older.

I worked in a daycare where each room had one bathroom.. one toilet.  Boys and girls used this bathroom.. one at a time, of course.  But, in our gym area, there were male and female bathrooms (it was the same bathrooms used for the church).. anyways.. if you only have 2 teachers watching the class.. and 4 children have to go to the bathroom, we'll say 2 boys and 2 girls, I would take the 4 kids, and let the other teacher watch the others, and I would take them to the same bathroom which had 3 stalls each.. so each kid would be in their own stall.  I never looked at that as a problem, as long as their stall door was closed.  If a kid has to go to the bathroom, you cannot make them wait.. especially not at that potty training age.. that mom needs to loosen up.
dannersmell
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:32 PM
i don't understand why that mom was so upset. what did she think the other 3 year olds would do to her child? i mean c'mon, they don't know all that much, and really don't care either. my boys have asked questions but after that they don't care! lol!

Glitter Graphics

lilmama2be
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:32 PM
Since the teacher is standing there, I don't see a problem with it, and since there are stalls and it's not open or anything I really don't see what the big deal would be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)