Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The bottle and pacifeir hell! please help me out here ladies!

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:08 PM
  • 17 Replies

Poll

Question: How old was you child when they got off the bottle?

Options:

0-10 months

10 months - 12 months

12 months-15 months

15 months- 2 years

2 - 21/2 yrs.

2 1/2 yrs. +

haven't yet

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 47

View Results

OK! My daughtyr is a little over 14 months and will not give up the bottle for anything! If I don't giv her one, she will scream "a baba" for hours and WILL NOT sleep! I have tried so many things and it is just not working! Im going crazy here! Please gie me some advice or tell me what you did to get your children off of it! Im gonna work on the pacifier too so advice there would be good! If she wakes up in the middle of the night with out the pacifier, she screams and will not slepp until it is back in her mouth! and she will not close her eyes with out it! My mom lost hers and had to go to kroger at 1 in the morning just so she would go to sleep! please please help me out here! Thank you in advance!

SOMETHING TO ADD?????? Do you think at 14 months she will realize what she is doing if i let her htrow them away??? Will she understand that means they are gone if I take that route???? I just don't think at this age, that is right way to go! i don't think she will know what she is really doing!!! This has to be one of the hardest things! I am gonna do them one at a time not both at once! Thank you to all that have already replied but now i need that answered!!! thank you so so much!!!

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cheryllynn531
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:19 PM
Dont  take them both at once. I would take the bottle first and tell her that a new baby needs it and she is a big girl now. Fix a sippy cup and give her passy for a while then you can work on passy.. I told my son santa needed his passy for a little baby..when he saw santa he said little babys mama can buy him a passy leave mine alone!! any way we talked him into throwing passy in river one Fri night after dinner..We didnt get much sleep that night but then it was over!! good Luck

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/cheryllynn531
amber3
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:32 PM
All I can say is good luck.  With my oldest we had him feel like a "big boy" and had him throw away his bottle while we where visiting Grandma and Grandpa's house.  I was afraid it wouldn't work since we had tried EVERYTHING but it did, and the night went well no problems from that day on.  Now I have a 15 month old that I am telling you is possessed or something, he can walk but wont because he is being lazy so I haven't tried much with the bottles.  He will drink his juice out of a sippy cup but not milk.  So I will cross that path soon enough!  Good Luck!!!
muddymama
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:33 PM
Do you absolutely have to get her off the binky and bottle right now?  I have a 2 1/2 year old and he's still on the bottle and the binky.  I guess I should get him off soon, but it really doesn't bother me.  I'm making changes now and hope to wean him within the next few months.  When he falls asleep at night I take his binky out of his mouth so he doesn't sleep with it.  I figure he has 2 binkies left, he's lost like 5, once these are gone they're gone, I'm not buying anymore and I'll just tell him that they're gone.

As for the bottle, I should have weaned him long ago.  I breast-fed till he was 10 months and switched to the bottle and I know that he uses it for comfort now.  I try to distract him, like ask if he wants water, juice or milk in a big boy cup and in the morning I try to have his breakfast ready right away. 

Oh, I feel for you, it's hard on mama and baby.  Try to slowly make little changes here and there and do one at a time and don't worry so much.  She won't be on the bottle and binky forever.

Other mothers may look down on me for letting my boy go so long, but he's ok and I'm ok with it.  It really doesn't bother me.  As long as his teeth are brushed and clean, he'll be ok.

Oh and once you start the weaning process try not to give in - it'll be harder next time around.  If  you decide to stop the binky or bottle cold turkey - stick to your guns or else you will have a non-stop screaming fit from hell. 

Good luck!!!

BTW -  all kids are different - my first was weaned off the breast at 20 months in one week - no complaints at all.  She never used a pacifer so that was never an issue.  She was so easy! 

Mother of 2 with one on the way.... 

- Moderation is good as long as you don't overdo it -

1963mom
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:34 PM
On my kids first birthday the bottle went bye-bye. We talked about this for a week or so before and it was just gone. Never to come back. Pacifier's never started this habit therefore never had to end it. Good Luck.
JurneesMama
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:36 PM
My daughter is 10 mths old and at 6 mths we introduced the sippy.. for a bout a week or 2 now she's only gotten a bottle at bed time (or if per chance she wakes up in the n ight) but it's been sippies all day long.. I think your best bet is to take all the bottles and hide them somewhere.. and show her.. all the bottles are gone, new babies needed them.. and the big girl sippies were left for her.. as she uses the sippy praise her, clap etc.. say yeahhh!! I'd even say, we are going to go to Walmart (or whatever) and get you a NEW big girl toy, praising she's growing up etc.. Just keep offering the sippy, eventually she'll get the hang of it.. or you can do the sippy uring the day and cut down the bottle to nights like we have.. and go from there.. she still ahs the paci.. thatll be next, but at 1 year. the bottle is gone for our house! Take Care and good luck! I know its hard to listen to her cries but remember you're teaching her and helping her grow up!! Blessings! .

akmomx3
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:37 PM
i would DEF make the kid proactive in getting rid of the "baba".  i agree to do one at a time.  change is hard.  i also KNOW it's going to be a hellish first week!!!!  but trust me...they cant stay up forever!!  and after the first week things r usually fine...maybe an ocassional fit but soon all is well.  JUST STICK TO UR GUNS AND BE CONSISTENT....the sec u reintroduce it....all ur progress has taken 2 steps back.  GOOD LUCK!!!!!
bnkma
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:39 PM
The bottle was real easy for her cuz it was only used for her to drink my milk when I went back to work but once she started using sippys the were gone she refused to use them.  Now the pacie(binkie) eas a different story Santa was the bad guy and took them on X-mas eve '06 and left her a special present for them and shes been w/out them since. Good luck!
CoriL2
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:40 PM
I personally wouldnt worry about getting her off of the bottle or pacifier.  My daughter is 20 months old and she still drinks a bottle.  She doesnt use a pacifier but she is thumb sucker and is always sucking her thumb especially when she is going to sleep at night.  I went through a phase where I wanted to get her off of the bottle because I saw a show saying you should start trying at 12 months to stop bottles but then I thought about it and she is still a  baby so why bother.  She does the same thing your daughter does...cries until I give her her bottle.  She prefers a bottle over her sippy cups.  She only drinks 2 bottles a day which is better than what it used to be.  I also thought it would be entirely too hard to get her off bottles when I have a newborn on them.  She would probably just steal his if I didnt let her have her own, she does ask for one everytime she sees me feeing him.  But anyway dont stress it, let her be a baby and the time will come when it starts fading away.
ambermolina
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:41 PM
I have recently had this same dilema. I had one son turning 11 months and the other 21 months and both on the bottle!! So one day I had them both in the kitchen and we played a little game of putting all the bottles in the trash sack and then we walked out to the trash and threw them away. ( I had to get them out later for baby#3 coming soon) Later that night my oldest wanted one but I opened the cabinets and showed him that they were gone and gave him a cup. of course he threw it on the floor, I just picked it up and stayed calm, and put it on the table. When he was ready or thirsty enough he got it.  He still sayss bottle, but I know that he just wants something to drink.  Just stick with it!!! Different things work for different people, DONT GIVE IN!!!!
Kristen1492
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:43 PM
I don't think I will be much help...my son (now 28 months) wanted to be like daddy when he was 6 months old and started drinking out of a sippy cup.  One try and he took to it like he had been doing it for years.  As for the pacifier...he got sick when he was about 9 months old and couldn't breath very good out of his nose...so he couldn't suck the pacifier and breath at the same time so he gave it up.  We had a couple of sleepless nights while he was getting over being sick and when he was better he never asked for it again.  Now my daughter is only 3 months old so we will have to wait and see how she does...Good Luck to you!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)